CHALLENGES AND COMPROMISE 5

IKPA: (Rages) See this girl o! Leave my cloth now! I say leave my cloth now! Wetindey worry you? C’mon leave my cloth now before I spank you!

REGINA: See oo! If you like shout till the whole world hears you and gather here to find out what’s happening, I will now leave you until you return my bag and the money in it. You must give back my money today!

IKPA: (Gets violent and tries to shake Regina off him) C’mon leave my cloth! I go slap you o! Leave me now!

REGINA: (Hides her face to prevent Ikpa from hitting her but still holds firmly to his cloths while Emeka and Oluchi step in and intervene) You will kill me today o! It is either you give my money back or you kill me!

EMEKA: Ikpa stop! Ikpa wait! No slap am again nah. Na woman she be. (Ikpa still continues hitting her &Emeka rages) Stop nah! You want wound am???


IKPA: Tell am mek she leave my cloth nah! Which kind gbezebe this for this kind open space? She dey fall my hand o!

REGINA: (Cuts in) Then return my money if you don’t want me to keep falling your hand!

IKPA: (Rages and blurts out loudly) I go would this girl o!

OLUCHI: Regina, please leave his cloths. Leave him please. Let’s try to settle this matter amicably.

REGINA: He may run if I do so. He just has to return my money! That’s the only thing that will make me leave his cloths. If he doesn’t, I’m going make a scene here until the whole world gathers for us. In fact, it’s like I’m wasting time. (Screams) Thief ooo! Thief oooo! Come and see thief ooo! Everybody come and catch thief ooo!

IKPA: (Gets scared and begs) Ah! Babe abeg! Abeg no shout. I go corporate.

REGINA: (Keeps screaming) Thief oooooooo!

IKPA: (Almost crying) Abeg naaahh. I don tell you say I go corporate nah. Now shout again nah, abeg.

REGINA: Will you give me my money now?

IKPA: Yes-Yes! I will! Abeg just leave my cloths.

EMEKA: (Shocked) Chineke Meh! Ikpa, wetin you talk? You say you go do wetin? Wait first Ikpa, naaaa…. Uuuu….?

IKPA: Emeka relax nah. Na you want follow do like this? Abegmek we no carry this matter pass as ee be now. I go return the girl money abeg. I never spend am.

EMEKA: Heeeeiiii!! I don die! So Ikpa, you beabarawo? You beabarawo and I no know all these while. Chai!

OLUCHI: I can’t believe this.

REGINA: Ooo-oooh! Shey when I told you he was the one who snatched my bag you didn’t want to believe.

OLUCHI: (Cuts in angrily) Errm Ikpa, or whatever you call yourself, where is her money?

IKPA: I came here with part of the money to spend. The remaining one is in the bank.

OLUCHI: How much did you come here with? And how much is left in the bank?

IKPA: I came with N50, 000. N75, 000 is still left in the bank.

REGINA: (Cuts in aggressively) Ehn? How much? That’s just N125, 000 you just mentioned. There was N150, 000 in the bag you snatched from me. Where is the balance?

IKPA: I don spend am nah. But I go pay you back. I swear!

REGINA: You’re paying back everything now! If not, I call the people on you. In fact, (Screams) everybody comeo! Thief o!

EMEKA: (Cuts in) Erm, Regina, it’s okay. Don’t shout again. Please don’t call people on him. If all these area boys here get to know what this guy did, dem go beat am kill am.

REGINA: So what am I supposed to do now? He must return all my money before he leaves o!

EMEKA: Don’t worry. Let him just give back what he has on him right now. I will balance it up for you. Abeg leave am.

REGINA: Emeka, if not because of you! If not because of you eh! Okay. I will leave him. (Leaves him)

EMEKA: Thank you Nne. Eehh, Ikpa, oya bring the money come. She you get ATM card?

IKPA: (Replies with shame) I get.

EMEKA: Oya bring the 50k wey you say you dey with. Then mek we dey go bank go withdraw the balance.

IKPA: Okay.

EMEKA: Ikpa, if say person tell me say you fit do this kind thing, I no for believe am. You don fall my hands well-well!

OLUCHI: Abeg let’s be going! We don’t have all the time in the world!

IKPA: Okay.

OLUCHI: Thief!

SCENE 16

BENJI: (A knock on the door) I’m coming please. Just one minute. (Rushes to open the door and finds his auntie’s husband) Jesus Christ the Son of God! Uncle? Uncle you’re back! Thank you Jesus! My uncle is back!

FRED: Easy Benji. Ah-ah? You act like the president just paid you a visit. It’s me oo!

BENJI: (Excitedly) Uncle your presence here is worth more than a presidential visit. We have really missed you. My
aunty developed high blood pressure as a result of your absence. She just got discharged from the hospital not quite long ago. And I’ve been praying unceasingly for you to return to her before her condition got worse. You coming in today is proof that God has answered my prayers. My brethren in church will be very happy to hear this because they all joined me to pray for you return.

FRED: Benji, are you the one talking? Or is it someone else’s voice I’m hearing? When did you start prayer and church stuff that you’re singing about? Because the last time I checked, you were still in the business of breaking rules and committing various atrocities

BENJI: Uncle, all those were in the past. I’m now a new creature. Old things have passed away. I no longer indulge in such activities. I am now running this heavenly race with the rest of the saints all over the world who are doing same, and hoping to see the face of the Lord Jesus on that great day. May God help me.

FRED: Nawa o. Wonders will never end. And people will never be tired of seeing wonders. Okay o. I wish you all the luck in the world. So, where is your aunty; my wife?

BENJI: (Jokingly) Hmmm, uncle is getting emotional. You must have really missed my aunty.

FRED: My friend will you shut up and answer my question! Where is my wife?

BENJI: Uncle she went to the market to get some foodstuffs. She should be back in a short while.

FRED: Okay. So tell me, how has life been?

BENJI: It’s not been easy at all uncle. Ever since you left, things have been a bit hard. This my auntie’s nursing job almost drains life out of her and barely leaves her for anything else. The worst thing is that the pay is too low. Yet we had to feed from there and settle other bills. It’s really not been easy. But now that my Manager uncle is back, things will return to the way it used to be.

FRED: Hmm, this boy, you have grown to become very funny o. So what about school? Have you gained admission yet?

BENJI: Not yet uncle. But I sat for the just concluded JAMB examination. I have prayed earnestly for God to see me through this time, and I’m confident that he will; just like he answered me and brought you back home.

FRED: This is serious! Could it really be that you are who you say you are? Hmmm. Well, time will tell.

BENJI: (A knock on the door) That must be my aunty. Hold on aunty, I’m coming. (Opens the door) Welcome aunty.

AUNTY: Thank you Benjamin.

BENJI: Aunty, guess who is home.

AUNTY: Benji please-please-please, I don’t have time for games right now. I have to go in and cook first. Try again later.

BENJI: No aunty, I’m serious! Guess who is home.

AUNTY: (Gets pissed) Benji leave the road! Must you play always? Ah-ah?

FRED: (Cuts in) Hello my dear.

AUNTY: Jezuz! Fred? Is that you?

FRED: It’s me honey. I’m back.

AUNTY: Oh my God I can’t believe this! Fred? You’re back home for real? Or you just came to pack some things and leave again?

FRED: Ah-ah honey? Weren’t you expecting me to come back home again? This is our house for Crist’s sake. I won’t find anywhere else the peace I find here. I know I said and did some silly stuff in the past. But I beseech you to make nothing of such memories. I’m back home now. And I’m never leaving again.

AUNTY: (Gets emotional) I can’t believe this. Is this really happening? How possible?

BENJI: Aunty please believe it because it’s really happening. I told you I was praying for uncle to return home soon but you took it lightly. Now this is nothing but the answer to my prayer.

AUNTY: (Gets more emotional) Oh my dear, welcome home. Welcome home. I really missed you.

FRED: I missed you too my dear.

SCENE 17

FRED: (Benjamin, his aunty and her husband having a family time and laughing to many jokes) So that’s why Benji started going to church; because he wants to gain admission? (They all laugh again) Anyway, it’s a very welcoming development. At least, I won’t have to be hiding my money anymore. (They all laugh again)

BENJI: I may have started church because of that, but in my course of serving in church these past months, I have realized that there are so many benefits in serving God. Uncle, if you also start serving God, the sky will be your starting point. I know that as a manager in a professional firm like yours, you might not deem it needful to do so. But uncle, there is joy inexpressible in serving God, and so much more.

FRED: See Benji o! He is now preaching to me.

AUNTY: My dear, he never stops doing this. He almost forces me to join him anytime he goes to church. (They laugh)
But my dear, I think we better draw near to God. Maybe that’s the only thing left for us to do in order to have this baby we have been expecting for 7 years now. From the way Benji with his service to God, I dare to believe that he will make it into school this time. Please my dear; let’s also draw near to God. You know we’ve done all we know to do, but still unable to have a baby. I beg you my dear, let’s embrace God as a last resort.

FRED: Indeed, I have tried all I can as a man without getting close to laying hold of my desires. If getting close to will solve the problem, then let’s go ahead.

BENJI: (Rejoices exceedingly) Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Uncle, you have just made the best decision of you life today. Uncle please just complete it by saying this after me. (Recites the sinners prayer & his uncle repeats after him) Uncle I’m very happy now oooo! I’m so happy oooo! Uncle you and aunty will follow me to church this Sunday ooo. (A knock interrupts the jollification) I’m coming. Uncle let me see who is at the door. (Goes & opens the door) Aaa-aah? Brother Jerry?

JERRY: Benji? Benjamin?

BENJI: Yes brother Jerry. Oh my God! What are you doing here?

JERRY: The manager in a company I applied to work with asked me to come here today and meet him. He lives here I suppose.

BENJI: Ohhhhh! It must be my uncle

JERRY: Really? Your uncle? The very one we have been praying that he returns to your Aunty?

BENJI: Yes o. He finally returned. I was planning to testify in church on Sunday. Guess what else happened? He just gave his life to Christ.

JERRY: You’ve got to be kidding me! So you mean to say that the manager of Revelation Group of Companies is you uncle?

BENJI: Yes o! He’s right here in the parlor with my aunty. Come in and meet him please.

JERRY: (Stammers) Ok… okay; after you. (Soliloquies) Chai! Yawa don gast o! So this man is Benji’s uncle? And I’m here to bribe him to get a job in his company? Hei! This is not good o. What if Benji finds out that I’m here to pay bribe to his uncle after informing the brethren that the government has not yet released money for my Corpers’ allowance, thereby stopping me from assisting Regina as I promised? Chai! Devil don catch me here o!

BENJI: Brother Jerry, come in nawn.

JERRY: (Returns from his reverie and stammers) Okay. Okay.

BENJI: Uncle, there is someone here to see you. Amazingly, he is someone I know; a brother from my church who also joined in praying for your return. Here he is uncle.

JERRY: Good afternoon sir. Good afternoon Ma.

FRED: (Recalls Jerry) Afternoon. Ohh, young man, I remember you. You are the guy who was supposed to bring some…,

JERRY: (Interrupts to prevent being exposed) Yeess sir! It is me! You seem to be busy now. I could come and see you in the office tomorrow. I wouldn’t want to disturb you family time.

BENJI: Oh don’t worry Brother Jerry. You can join us please. You are more like a family member.

FRED: That’s right young man. Please have a seat. Honey please can you go prepare a little something for our visitor? Benjamin join your aunty in the kitchen. Let me and this young man have some time to talk.

BENJI: Owwkkkkeeyyy (Leaves with his aunty to the kitchen)

FRED: So Mister……………???

JERRY: Jerry. Mister Jerry sir.

FRED: Yes, Mister Jerry. What a coincidence! So you are one of the brethren my boy has so spoken of!

JERRY: Yes sir, I am. He has also said a lot about you. Little did I know it’s the same you I’m looking up to for employment; small world indeed.

FRED: You can say that again. So, I suppose you’re here to seal your part of the deal right?

JERRY: Indeed sir. But I was hoping I won’t have to pull through with it anymore considering the information Benji passed to me a short while ago.

FRED: Which is?

JERRY: That you just turned a new live.

FRED: Hahahahahahaha. This Benji with his big mouth! Well, he informed you correctly. I’ve decided to embrace God with hope of being rewarded with children. Benji has assured me that my expectations will be met if I do so.

JERRY: Your expectation will be met, and even much more shall come your way, more than you can ever imagine.

FRED: Hmmm. You really seem to be a clergyman. But how come you opted to pay a bribe and get a job?

JERRY: Sirr,

BENJI: (Interrupts) Uncle, Brother Jerry, food is ready. Please join us in the dining.

FRED: Alright young man, let’s go and have something to eat. We’ve now become one, and have all things in common.

JERRY: Okay sir. I take that to mean that I’ve had the job you promised without having to pay for it.

FRED: Of cause! Everything must be done correctly now. You don’t have to pay for the job. But don’t also forget that there was a girl who qualified for the job before you did. The job is rightly hers. But not to worry, now that we have some sort of relationship, I’ll do my best to get you something to do the moment there is an opening.

JERRY: (Downhearted) Hmmm. That’s okay sir. I really appreciate that.

FRED: Alright Jerry, let’s go and have something to eat now. We’ll continue discussing later.

SCENE 18

USHER: Brethren, today is a very happy day for us because the number of testimonies we’ve all shared. Though challenges came our way and pushed us to a near compromise state, God in his infinite wisdom rescued and preserved us for his glory. And today we gather here to thank him for the return of Benjamin’s auntie’s husband! (Joyful shout) And also for Benjamin who has now gained admission into school! (Joyful shout) And also for Regina, who’s set to leave for service in three weeks! (Joyful shout) And also for Benjamin’s aunty who has now been blessed with the fruit of the womb after seven years! (Joyful shout) And last but not the least, for Jerry, who has won a scholarship to study abroad for masters’ degree (Joyful shout) I will now give each of them a chance to say one or two things about their lives that will edify and encourage the rest of us to stand firm in the faith, especially our new converts. Let us start with Regina! (Joyful shout)

REGINA: PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL: Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE END

PART 1
PART 2
PART 3
PART 4
PART 5

Comments