WHITE PAPER 2


SCENE 6 – INTERIOR - (STELLA’s APPARTMENT) - NEXT MORNING

STELLA: (Camera opens on Stan with bandages all over, as Stella comforts him just before leaving for work) Sorry Stan. The pain will be over soon. Just make sure you take your drugs in time. And try to avoid those kinds of friends that can do a fellow man.

STAN: I’ve told you, they are not my friends. I was just trying to help out someone they were beating up badly. Never could have known it would land me in this. (Feels some pain and reacts)

STELLA: It’s okay Stan. Say no more. I understand. (Pauses and goes deep in thoughts. Then releases a deep breath) How are you gonna get them off your back now? You know they’ll come looking for you if you don’t come up with the money they demanded for, right?

STAN: I know. I’m gonna be leaving for a while to a place they can’t find me. I’ll come back when I have the money to pay.

STELLA: What? Leave? You’re joking right? You wanna leave me alone here?


STAN: I’m not leaving you alone. If I don’t get the money before the deadline they gave me, they’re gonna come for me. And only God knows what they’ll do to me then. I’ve got no other option than to leave. Staying might be suicidal.

STELLA: (Maintains silence for a while, thinking of letting him leave, her fear being that he might run into the arms of another woman and never return. Not wanting to take any chances, she proposes a suitable way out. Obviously a sacrificial deed) I’ll get you the money.

STAN: You’ll do what?

STELLA: I’ll get you the money Stan. I can’t bear you leaving. I have some savings I’ve been gathering for some time now. I’ll just give it all t you so you can solve your problem.

STAN: (Almost breaks down) Stellaaa… it’s a 100k baby. That’s too much for you. You’re just a waitress.

STELLA: (Emotionally) I’d rather give a waitress’s might than let you stray into the hands of another woman and never return to me. I love you so much to lose you. We’ve come a long way. Now is not the time to path ways; not for a 100k. I’ll get the money in two days. (Soliloquies) Oh God. That’s my life’s savings I’m giving away.

STAN: (Cuts in on her thoughts) You really don’t have to do this baby…..

STELLA: (Interrupts) Don’t worry about it Stan. I want to, okay? Just lay back and relax. I have to leave for work now. I’m running late. (Rises from the bed) Good bye baby.

STAN: (Kind of runs short of words) Goodbye.. and thank you….

STELLA: Anytime. (Makes for the door. And just before she steps out, she reminds him) Don’t forget to take your drugs. (Steps out and shuts the door. Stan remains in bed possibly wondering how his babe could be this kind to him. His love for her increases, and it’s obvious on his face. Just then, he hears a knock on the door) Come in mehn! (The door opens, and there is Tommy, calling in to check on Stan)

TOMMY: What’s up Stan?

STAN: What are you doing here?

TOMMY: Chill broe. I’m not here to fight. What happened to you.

STAN: (Gets reluctant about telling him. But Tommy presses on him until he breaks the silence) Some guys beat me up on my way back home last night because I tried to save someone else they were beating up.

TOMMY: That’s fucked up mehn.

STAN: They even asked me to pay them the 100k the guy there were beating up owed them because the guy stood up and ran away while I was trying to intercede for him.

TOMMY: Meeeeehnn.. that’s even more fucked up. But you’re not gonna pay them, are you?

STAN: Of cause I will.

TOMMY: You don’t even owe this guy! How can you just give him a 100k like that?

STAN: What would you have me do? Sit back and wait for him to come and kill me? (Showing his injury to Tommy) Just look at what he did to me for trying to save another person. What do you think he will do if I refuse to give him the money? Oboy, I no want trouble oh. 

TOMMY: I get you. But you see, inasmuch as you want to avoid trouble, you shouldn’t just enrich another man like that. Where are you even gonna get the money from?

STAN: My girl just promised to give me the money to pay.

TOMMY: (Reasons and comes up with an idea) You know; this is what I would advise you to do with the 100k. Instead of just handing over the money to that guy like that, try multiplying the money, then pay him from there and keep the rest for yourself.

STAN: (Confusingly) How do you mean?

TOMMY: Play football betting.

STAN: You’re not serious! After making me lose 21k, you have the guts to suggest football betting again?

TOMMY: Relax Stan. You won’t lose. I swear!

STAN: How can you be so sure? I lost 21k in the past few days. What are you swearing?

TOMMY: See Stan, There’s this guy on facebook who gives out sure games for a little token. He has come up with two sure games for this weekend that will certainly play. The odds from the two games na 40 points. So if you sbet with 100k, you win N4M! Guy na N4M you go win! Then you can get 100k from there and settle the guy, and do whatever you like with the remaining N3.9M. Opportunities like this no dey come two times oh.

STAN: (Considers it for a while and then asks) So what if the game no come play?

TOMMY: (Most assuring) Ee go play! This guy’s predictions never fail. All we need do is pay 5k and get the games. So if you happen to squeeze 100k from your girl, then do this and become a big boy overnight.

STAN: Tommy are you sure about this?

TOMMY: What are you telling me? Aloysius just won 275k with the games predicted by this same guy. No worry my guy. Na me dey tell you something. I don dey play football betting since time immemorial. So when I see chance, I dey sabi am.

STAN: Okay nah. If you say so. When I get the cash, I’ll holla at you so we can make it happen.

TOMMY: Now you’re talking! No worry. All will be well. (Lights fade)

SCENE 7 – INTERIOR - (BETTING CENTER) - MONTAGE

STAN: (Camera opens on Stan and Tommy watching a match Stan had staked 100k on, as background suspenseful music plays to make the outcome of the match unpredictable. Stan and Tommy react to the play on TV as though trying to manipulate the ball into the goal. They are seen nervous, sweating, tensed and all consumed by the match. Suspenseful background music switches to a sorrowful one as the referee blows the final whistle. The game is lost. Stan immediately breaks down, and Tommy just stands by watching him pitiably, as his conscience pricks him for bringing Stan into further mess. He tries to draw near to Stan to comfort him, but Stan shakes him off and makes to throw punches at him, but the others in there intervene; all this happening as the sorrowful background still plays. Lights fade)

-CUTS TO-

(Camera opens on Stan and Tommy walking gloomily back home and separating from each other without a goodbye. Lights fade again, and opens on Stan alone, expressing his frustration on the street as he kicks random objects and bins, all the while voicing out his woes. Then he bursts into Bruno and his boys. The moment he sees them, he tries to hide himself. But then, Bruno’s eyes get to him, and he takes to his heels at once. Bruno and his boys chase him but lose him along the way. They express their frustration and swear to kill Stan when they find him) (Lights fade)

-CUTS TO-

(Camera opens again on Stan still running somewhat. He stops running on realizing he has lost Bruno and starts walking home most miserably with tears in his eyes. On reaching home, he finds Stella alighting a Toyota Tundra 2010 model, with an advanced man stepping out of the car to give her a goodbye hug. Added to his frustration, he lets out all his aggression on her. From a distance, he screams) Stella! Stella! Who is this man? Who is this man? Why is he hugging you?

STELLA: Bring your voice down Stan. You are calling the people’s attention to us.

STAN: (At this point, Stan isn’t thinking straight again. So he starts talking anyhow) I will call the world’s attention to us if you don’t tell me who this man is! Who is he? (Stella seems to be short of words, and Stan concludes) You see? You no fit talk. He’s your Aristo abi? You’re messing with him, aren’t you?

ARISTO: (Feels insulted by a nobody) What’s going on Stella? Who is this young man? (Stella tries to explain, but Stan cuts in angrily)

STAN: I’m her boyfriend! You hear that? Her boyfriend! Someone who’s trying to build a worthy relationship with her. Not a shameless Aristo like you who goes around preying on young girls.

STELLA: (Pissed) Enough Stan!

STAN: No! It’s not enough! You leave every morning in the name of work to hang out with men like this. You return home after your escapades with them to meet your puppet; the one who’s always home waiting for mama to come back. You’ve been cheating with this averaged baboon. (Aristo gets upset, gets into his car and drives off, not giving ears to Stella’s pleas) Oh’ you wanna go with him? You can go ahead! Get in the car and leave! Go and have fun with him as you’ve always. What does he give you? Money? A ride home? What?

STELLA: (Comes unto Stan big time the moment Aristo drives off) Stan, you are one selfish son of a bitch! All you think about is yourself! Have you stopped for a moment to think where I get all the money I lavish on you? How do you think I put food on the table for us both? You think I get all that money from my job? You’re a graduate! Do the math! How can a common waiter’s pay cater for my girly needs which you are unable to cater for, and at the same time pay our bills? Not to mention a good portion of the money that goes on random expenses incurred by you. You think I do all that from salary? I go all the way to make you glad, yet I don’t even get to be appreciated for any of it. Instead, you stand there accusing and calling me names. If you had been a man, would I have had to do this? (Stella continues throwing strong words on Stan, who just stands back and listens, and at a point walks away reluctantly; completely destabilized) (Lights fade)

SCENE 8 – INTERIOR - (STELLA’s APARTMENT) - THAT NIGHT

STELLA: (Camera opens on Stan and in bed, each facing the opposite sides of the bed. Still pissed at each other, none says a word to the other. Stella gets tired of the silence and breaks it by turning towards Stan, rolling her hands on his shoulders as she apologizes) I’m sorry Stan. I didn’t mean to hurt you with my words. Just that I lost it. I’m really sorry please. Let’s make up baby.

STAN: (Pushes her hands off him) Don’t touch me Stella. I wanna have some sleep, and I don’t need you disturbing me.

STELLA: Come on Stan. How long are you gonna keep this up? I said I’m sorry.

STAN: (Yells) And I said I wanna catch some sleep! Is that too hard for you to understand?

STELLA: (Pleads most humbly almost crying) Stan please…

STAN: (Hops out of the bed angrily) It seems you don’t want me to sleep here tonight. You can have the bed all to yourself! (Puts on some clothes)

STELLA: Where are you going Stan?

STAN: Anyway! But away from you!

STELLA: Stop this Stan. Come back! (Stan makes for the door and opens it, only to find Bruno and his boys outside. Shocked, he moves backwards slowly and frightfully. Bruno and his boys follow him in and shut the door behind. Stan sits on the bed like a timid teenager, while Stella maintains her position on the bed with confusion. Then she asks fearfully) Stan, who are these people?

STAN: Calm down Stella. It’s gonna be alright.

BRUNO: (Sarcastically) Everything’s gonna be alright? Whooooow. I take that to mean that you have my money ready? (To his boys) right boys?

BOYS: Yes boss!

STAN: Yo Bruno, I ain’t got the money ready now. I tried all I could to get it. But I couldn’t. Give me two more days please.

STELLA: (Enquires) Stan? What money?

STAN: Stay out of it Stella. I’ve got this.

BRUNO: You’ve got this? You don’t have my money with you and you’re saying you’ve got this? Maybe you thought I was playing when I said I was gonna skin you alive if my money wasn’t ready by today. It’s high time I kept to my word.

STELLA: (Confused) What money? Stan, what money is he talking about?

BRUNO: (Sarcastically) Oh – so you don’t know? Your boyfriend here owes me a 100 grand. He was supposed to pay back on Monday. But I passed by the betting house today and I heard somebody lost a 100 grand to a bet. And I found that someone to be you little buddy right here! (To Stan) So you carry 100 grand go play betting when you never pay me my money. Devil go punish you today? (Calls out to his boys) Boys!

BOYS: Yes boss!

BRUNO: Treat this guy fuckup. (The boys move at once unto Stan with punches and kicks and slaps. Stella begins screaming and crying immediately, and Bruno reaches out to her, grabbing her by the neck and warning her to keep shut. Stan’s maltreatment continues, as sorrowful background music commences playing. Bruno is seen holding back Stella from intervening, while the boys continue beating up Stan mercilessly, and drag him out and leave the apartment; leaving Stella crying and begging that he be spared. They mind her not, but drag Stan to an unknown place) (Lights fade)

SCENE 9 – EXTERIOR - (STREET) - Outro

STAN: Here we are again. Right where we started. That’s how Tommy led me on and dropped me off right here. I can’t go back to my girl now. I’ve disappointed her. Neither can I go to Tommy. He’s my doom. I’ll just have to find another path, and hope that it works out well in whatever path I follow. Football betting is a bitch! (Lights fade)

SCENE 10 – INTERIOR - (SIX MONTHS LATER)

STAN: (Camera opens on Stan teaching in a local primary school) Never you take what does not belong 
to you. Be obedient to your parents always. And don’t gamble! What did I say?

STUDNTS: (Repeat after him) Don’t gamble!

STAN: Again….

STUDNTS: (Repeat after him) Don’t gamble!

STAN: For the last time……

STUDNTS: (Repeat after him) Don’t gamble!

STAN: Good! You may now go for your break. (Students shout for joy as they randomly move out of the class to have some fun. Just then, Stan sports a high class jeep driving towards his class. Curiously, he watches to see who’ll step out of the car. Surprisingly, He sees Tommy stepping out, all dressed up and sparkling! Short of words and shocked, Stan stands back and just watches in amazement, as Tommy enquires of Stan’s whereabouts from a little boy. The boy points to Stan’s class, and Tommy walks right on there. On getting close enough, Tommy spots Stan and starts cheering immediately)

TOMMY: Stan ooooooo my man! (Moves to him and hugs him. But Stan doesn’t reciprocate duly due to how surprised he is by the whole development) Stan what’s up nawn? It took me ages to locate you mehn. But I finally got to discover you now teach in this school. It’s been six whole months mehn. I miss you scatter! (Hugs him again)

STAN: Tommy, wetin dey happen? Who get that ride? And how come you dey tush like this?

TOMMY: Meeeeeeeehhnnnnn… my guy… my guy… the thing finally pay ooh….

STAN: What do you mean mehn? Wetin finally pay?

TOMMY: Bet nah! Football bet! You remember that guy on facebook that gave us those odds?

STAN: (Recalls and points out to Tommy) You mean the one that cost me a 100 grand?

TOMMY: (Dismisses) Yes, that one. The guy gave another set of games to make up for the last one that didn’t play. All the five games he gave played. I staked on it with just 1k, and guess how much I won.., N15M!

STAN: (Exclaims with extreme shock) Jeez!!!!! You say wetin?????

TOMMY: That’s it mehn. N15M.

STAN: (Amazed and exited for his pal at he same time, he puts his hands on his head, and does all sort of things to express his shock and excitement) Oboy, so finally your luck don shine for this thing. Guy you try. (Hugs him) So na your ride be that?

TOMMY: Yes ooh. Na my baby boy be that.

STAN: Ooooooboy. Come and give me a ride in it mehn…..

TOMMY: Of cause! But before then, there’s something I have to tell you.

STAN: Tommy, na wetin? You don hammer! Wetin you want tell me again?

TOMMY: Just chill. Come have a seat. (Stan gives him the “seriously” look, wondering how Tommy would be offering him a seat in his own classroom. However, he obliges as always and sits) Stan ooh, you remember when we paid the facebook guy for those games that didn’t play?

STAN: Yes, I remember. What about it?

TOMMY: His money was 5k. But you mistakenly gave me 6k to pay. And when you found you had given me more than you supposed to, you asked for you 1k, but I refused to give it back; promising to do so at a later time.

STAN: You bin don chop the money nah. Abi you want pay back now, since you don hammer?

TOMMY: More or less. You see, what I did was that I used that your 1k to also stake the game for you. So as me and you dey talk now, you are also a proud owner of N15M!

STAN: (Extremely shocked, he enquires with his hands raised as though surrendering) Wait..wait…wait. Tommy, stop playing with me mehn. Tell me it’s a joke.

TOMMY: It’s no joke Stan. It’s all in my account, and I’m gonna transfer your N15M to you anytime you want. (Stan realizes that Tommy is telling the truth, and he bursts into joyful shouts, hugging Tommy anyhow and thanking him ceaselessly. At a point, Tommy gets uncomfortable) Guy ee don do! Take am easy before all these people go begin think say we be gay. Now come, let me give you a ride in my baby boy.

STAN: It’s about time.

TOMMY: Yeeeaaah. (Recalls something and enquires) Wait a minute, Stan, wier Stalla?

STAN: I’ve not seen her in three months. But we’ve been communicating though. It’s about three weeks now since we last talked.

TOMMY: Did you guys break up?

STAN: No. we just decided to take a break.

TOMMY: Take a break from wetin? Na work? Call her up mehn. It’s high time you repaid that girl for all her kindness. Her type is rare to find. You’re now a big boy, and you can do anything for her. Call her and find out where she is so we can go see her.

STAN: She’s not in town mehn.

TOMMY: Even if she’s in the moon, we’ll go get her. Oya make the call. (Reaches for his phone and makes the call)

STELLA: (Camera opens on Stella attending to customer at the eatery she works with) Here’s your order sir.

CUSTU: Thank you.

STELLA: Anytime. (Phone rings. She recognizes the caller I.D and gets excited) Hello?

STAN: Hi Stella. How’re you doing?

STELLA: I’m good. To what do I owe this pleasant surprise? If I remember correctly, I always do the calling.

STAN: Come on Stella. Didn’t call to ague.

STELLA: Good to know. And I’m glad about that. So, what’s up?

STAN: Where are you?

STELLA: Where else? I’m at work.

STAN: I’m coming to get you.

STELLA: (Confused) Stan, what’s going on?

STAN: No questions babe. Just get ready. I’m coming to get you.

STELLA: (Consents confusingly) Okay

STAN: Alright. See you soon babe.

STELLA: Okay. (Hangs up, then looks at her phone and is like;) Babe? (Ponders a little on Stan’s unusual politeness after six months of gloom. However, she dismisses the idea and proceeds with her work; only expecting to see what Stan is up to this time)

TOMMY: Where did she say she is?

STAN: At work.

TOMMY: So?

STAN: We go get her.

TOMMY: Okay then. Let’s role!

STAN: Yeaaaa… (They both hop into the car swagishly, saying many random stuffs out of excitement. Tommy hits the wheels and zooms off) (Lights fade)

THE END

Comments