WHITE PAPER 1


SCENE 1 – EXTERIOR - (STREET) - Intro

Camera opens on Stan all bruised up, limply walking on a somewhat busy street with passersby turning at intervals to analyze and try to figure out what happened to him. Advancing into a lone street, he flashes back on the events that led to his present condition.

STAN: It wasn’t always like this. This is not the way I started out. I used to be cool. I had everything figured out. I never got into any troubles. I had a good girl who wouldn’t stop loving me despite my low state of revenue. Well, I still do have that good girl. She’s never gonna believe I did this. Why should she? This is very unlike me. But it happened; all thanks to Tommy, that one friend of mine who led me into this mess! And where is he now? Of course somewhere hanging out with the whores that only smile at him on paydays. You’ll be wrong in supposing that the nigga has a job he does for the pay because I mentioned payday. He doesn’t! But he gets paid! It was about time I also got paid like my nigga without having a job, and there was no one else in the world to lead me on but my pal, my lifetime hommie, my boy Tommy. He sure did! And look where it landed me.

Stan laughs at himself. The laugh triggers some pains. He coughs and keeps cool again to avoid more pain.

STAN: Every tale has a beginning and an end. What you see now is the end. But I’m gonna take you on a trip down here from the Genesis.

Lights Fade


SCENE 2 – INTERIOR - (STELLA’s APARTMENT)

STELLA: (Camera opens on Stella kind of like in a hurry to tidy up and leave for work since she’s almost running out of time. A groan is heard from an unseen man in the room, and Stella turns to him at once) Baby! Your awake! 

STAN: (Dizzily) Yea, I am. You’re leaving already? What time is it?

STELLA: It’s 7:45am baby. Good morning.

STAN: (Groans in displeasure) No ooooo…..

STELLA: Come on Stan. I have to go. You don’t want me to stay back and lose my job, do you? (Stan gives a silent nod to the negative) Just what I thought. (Wraps up immediately and voices out in high spirit) Okay baby! Time to go! I left you some cash for you on the refrigerator. That will do for breakfast and lunch. Bye. (Leaves immediately to keep from hearing him complain about her always doing that, even though he needs it)

STAN: (Aware of the reason behind her speedy exit, makes effort to yell her his usual complains to at least have her hear some of it) Thank you! But I still have some money left from yesterday’s lunch! (Door shuts, and his countenance drops. A worrisome look is pictured on Stan’s face as he gives thought to his present state, possibly trying to figure a way out. After a while, he sighs, picks up his phone and puts a call across to his pal)

-CUTS TO-

(BETTING CENTER)

TOMMY: (On a betting center’s counter, in the process of staking a game with Ricky on the other end of the 
counter) Omor Ricky, the gods must favor me this time oo. I’ve lost seven stakes back to back! I can’t even remember the last time I won. Sure say una never dey do ojoro for this thing?

RICK: We resemble oyibo for your eye. Our own no be to collect your money type something for computer? If you win, we pay you. If you no win, well, sorry.

TOMMY: I go win this time abeg. No talk negative talk. I go win.

RICK: Be it unto you according to thy faith.

TOMMY: Amem! (Phone rings, Tommy picks up) Yo Stan! What’s up mahn!

STAN: (Relaxed) I’m cool mehn. How’re you doing?

TOMMY: (Lively) You know me. Not bad at all. Still balling as usual. No long things.

STAN: (Dully) I see. Where you at?

TOMMY: Down town. What’s the problem Stan? You don’t sound okay? Are you good?

STAN: We need to meet up.

TOMMY: Everything alright?

STAN: Yeah. Let’s just meet up mehn. We’ll discuss then.

TOMMY: Fine. I’m at Ricky’s bet center. You can come over.

STAN: Cool. (Hangs up, and continues with his depression) (Lights fade)

SCENE 3 – EXTERIOR - (BETTING CENTER)

TOMMY: (Camera opens on Stan and Tommy drinking and possibly smoking silently, with Tommy observing Stan’s depressed mode. He then shakes his head to affirm his suspicion of Stan not doing good. And he voices out) What’s up Stan? You don’t look too good.

STAN: (Not finding a way to express his frustration, he tries to hold out some more and perhaps get high on beer before breaking his silence) I’m good bro. I’m good.

TOMMY: Nah..nah..nah. This ain’t the Stan I know. You ain’t good bro. I’m your main man Stan. Tell me what’s up. What the hell is bothering you? Your girl giving you problems?

STAN: (Hyperactively) Hey mehn, don’t say shit about my girl. She ain’t giving me no problems okay?

TOMMY: (Rises from his seat at once and puts both hands in the air as though surrendering in fear, as he stammers his response) Okay mehn.. okay. I ain’t saying shit about your girl no more, alright? (Stan still giving him the somewhat angry look, and he pleads again) Alright?

STAN: (Cools off) Alright mehn. (Lies back on the chair. But Tommy remains standing with his hands in the air still. Expecting to hear him say something without a word from him after 5 seconds, Stan looks up to him to check him out, only to find him still standing in surrender mode.) I can’t believe this mehn. Will you please have a sit!

TOMMY: (Commences baseless laughter and pointing to Stan like he was waiting for him to tell him to sit) Hahahahahahahaha. (Teases Stan a little bit by reciting some of his high school jungle achievements) So Stan, what’s up? You don’t look cool. What’s happening?

STAN: Nothing much Tommy. Just don’t know how long I’m gonna be living in my girl’s house and getting fed by her. She gives me money for breakfast and lunch every day, and I don’t even get to exhaust the cash she gives me on daily basis. Yet she keeps giving! (Mumbles) Looks like something my mama would do to me. Can’t take it anymore.

TOMMY: (In a low tone of voice) Is she complaining?

STAN: What is that supposed to mean? You know she won’t complain; even though she’s had it up to her neck. But I know she will one day. And I have to do something before that day comes.

TOMMY: I just can’t imagine how you can be so lucky, yet be complaining about trivial issues like this. Would you rather out on the streets with no roof over your head and no means of getting what to eat? You’ve got this girl who’s got your back, and you still complain? Meeehn!

STAN: Maybe you’ve forgotten; but I’m a graduate! I should be doing something for myself and not let a girl be taking care of me. I’m not saying what she’s doing is bad. But there should be a timeline to it. Reason am naah…

TOMMY: Okay. I get you. So what do you wanna do now? Have any ideas?

STAN: That’s the problem mehn. I’ve got no ideas. I’ve applied for jobs in about 37 companies. None of them have called me for an interview. I’m sick and tired of the situation in the country. How man want tek survive nawn, wen everything dey scata-scata like this? Man no fit chop stew wey dem use tomato cook again. Even common beer, boys no fit buy. I tire oh!

TOMMY: No joy! Broe, you may never find a job if you keep on looking for one. The economy is bad. Companies are laying off their staff. Who want come employ you nah? You’ve got to do something for yourself.

STAN: I know that! But what the hell am I supposed to do without capital? I need about a million bucks to set things in motion. Where in the world am I gonna get that kind of money from with the whole economy thing going down? (Sighs)

TOMMY: (Silent for a little bit, then speaks with a stern comic look on his face) I’ve got an idea.

STAN: (Carelessly curious) Say what?

TOMMY: I said I’ve got an idea, Stan.

STAN: (Tommy has his attention now) What the f**k is your idea?

TOMMY: You said your girl gives you cash daily which you never get to spend all of it, right?

STAN: Yea. What about it?

TOMMY: Means you have a lot of left over pocket money from the day she started giving.

STAN: Pocket money? That’s not funny mehn. But I do have some leftovers though. What are you driving at?

TOMMY: Have you ever thought of football betting? A lot of money have hit money through it, you know.

STAN: That’s not a sure thing mehn. I’ll end up losing the little I have in the process. Bad idea.

TOMMY: Calm down. I’ve been playing this thing for some time now, and I’ve seen people win big time.

STAN: And when have you ever won?

TOMMY: Not yet. But I know say I go win one day.

STAN: Until that day nah. When you win, I’ll start playing.

TOMMY: I just hope it won’t be too late. (Sits back to enjoy the match. Camera cuts to Koffi making entrance into the betting center. Ricky starts cheering him loudly, and that catches their attention. They look curiously at each other, then look carefully to see what’s up)

RICK: (Rick cheering Koffi from over the counter) Yaaaaaaaaay! My man Koffi! What’s going down? (Quickly passes him a supposed good news as Tommy and Stan stand by, watching and listening) How far – your game yesterday game enter oh…

KOFFI: Are you telling me? I know nah! I watched the match! That’s why I’m here mehn. I’ve come to get my pay!

RICK: Baaaaaaaaaaaaad forecaster! Na you dey reign oo. Mek you no come chop our money finish oo. (They both laugh) Just wait mehn, let me get you your win. (Rick leaves to get his money)

TOMMY: (Walks up to Koffi) Koffi what’s up nah? Why all the shouting?

KOFFI: Yaaaaay… Tommy my man, I just hit 275k from last week’s game ooh. No be small thing.

TOMMY: Ooooooboy eeeeh… You forecast the game well ooh.

KOFFI: No be me oh. Na that our facebook guy nah…

TOMMY: (Recalls and cheers) Eeeehhh,, that guy! Mehn! That guy’s predictions never fail oh. Chai! Why didn’t I bet last week ooooh.

KOFFI: No worry. Other games still dey. Na just to hook up the guy for more sure games.

TOMMY: Naso! Guy you try. Enjoy you pay. Nothing do you.

KOFFI: Thanks my broe.

RICK: (Cuts in) Koffi Lala! The chief forecaster! Your luck don shine again this time! Here’s your cash mehn!

KOFFI: (Excitedly) Yeeeeeeeeees (Reaches forth and gets the cash) I hope say ee complete oh?

RICK: It’s all there Koffi. N275, 000 cash!

KOFFI: Naso! Thank you Rick. It’s always nice staking games with you.

RICK: Anytime. Game dey today oh. Shey you go stake?

KOFFI: Why? I go stake nah! In fact, give me white paper dier!

RICK: Correct man. (Reaches for a white sheet and hands it to Koffi) Do your thing mahn.

KOFFI: No wahala. Thanks. (Bids Tommy farewell and leaves with his money)

TOMMY: (Turns to Stan immediately) Shey you don see am? People are winning! And here you are, wanting to miss opportunities to hit millions. Anyway, do as you like with it. (Makes to leave, but Stan holds him back)

STAN: Chill my guy. Ee be like say the thing go work ooh. You mean people win this stuff for real?

TOMMY: Didn’t you just see that winner?

STAN: If that’s the case, I’m in. let’s do it.

TOMMY: You say wetin?

STAN: I said I’m in.

TOMMY: That’s my guy. Oya! Let’s stake!

STAN: I no carry enough money now. Mek ee be tomorrow. (Lights Fade)

SCENE 4 – INTERIOR - (STELLA’s APARTMENT)

STAN: (Camera opens on Stan, very much awake and in bed, watching Stella prepare for work) Honey, you look astonishingly beautiful today!

STELLA: (Blushes) Ooh, thank you sweetie. But you sound like I don’t look beautiful on other days.

STAN: Oh no baby, you look beautiful every day. Just that you glow in an unusual way today.

STELLA: (Still blushing) Thanks Stan. Alright baby, I’m set to leave. See you when I return.

STAN: (Stella doesn’t leave him cash for breakfast and lunch as she does other days, and he really expected her to so that he would bet with the money. Stammers) Eh..eh.., baby, you’re leaving?

STELLA: (Confused) Yea. I’m leaving. What’s up? Something wrong?

STAN: (Bumbling) Not exactly. It’s just that eehh,, you are leaving just like that.

STELLA: (Confused) Stan, I don’t understand you. (Instead of ask for cash, he yawns extensively to send his message across. Stella notices) Oooooh – You need some money. Okay I get it. It’s not like I forgot ooh. It’s just that you complain about it always; telling me how you rarely spend a day’s lunch money. I figured you feel humiliated by me always giving money every day. So I resolved to take it slow and perhaps be giving you some cash like thrice in a week.

STAN: (Screams out of shock) Eh? No oo!

STELLA: (Very confused and short of words, she stutters) Okay. Okay. (Reaches for her pus and gets him some cash) Here baby. (He hurriedly jumps off bed and gets it. That makes Stella further confused) 

STAN: Thanks baby. You’re the best.

STELLA: (Confusingly) Anytime baby. I’ll leave now. See you when I return (Confusingly walks away)

STAN: (Smiling) Goodbye baby. (Stella walks out and shuts the door. Then Stan hurriedly picks up his phone and puts a call across to Tommy) Hello? Tommy what’s up? Where u dey? My babe don drop me some cash. I want stake. You’re sure about those games you predicted right? Mek ee no be like that last time own wey dem chop my 5k ooh. Shey you sure for this one? Okay. I dey come now. (Hangs up and hurriedly puts some cloths on and rushes to meet Tommy at the betting center) (Lights fade)

SCENE 5 – INTERIOR - (BETTING HOUSE) - MONTAGE

STAN: (Camera opens on Tommy and Stan in the betting house) Tommy, shey you sure say ee go play?

TOMMY: Trust me, ee go play.

STAN: Oya nah. Let’s stake! (They proceed to stake their games. Lights fade and opens on the duo in various bars at different days and times, watching for the outcome of games they stake. They are seen disappointed on the different occasions, walking gloomily out of the betting center. Tommy stops by the door, but Stan heads home without saying goodbye. Tommy goes back inside. Lights fade again, and opens on Stan alone, expressing his frustration on the street as he kicks random objects and bin, all the while voicing out his woes)

STAN: Rubbish! Nonsense! N21, 000 gone! And not even a single win!  Tommy, Tommy, na God go punish you. Na only God go punish you oo! Chai! (Stan continues to express his frustration until he meets a certain young man being beaten up by some hoodlums. Stan takes pity on the victim, and moves to the scene to try and intervene. Unluckily for him, it’s a bodoo named Bruno and his boys doing their thing. But Stan doesn’t know Bruno) Hey.. hey.. hey.. guys! Take it easy. Easy guys. Calm down guys.

BRUNO: (Slowly quenches his brutality and turns to take a look at the Samaritan who just bought himself some trouble. He seems not to know Stan. So he thuggishly returns his glance to his boys and asks) Who be this guy?

KALI: I no know am ooh…

STAN: (Cuts in) Come on guys, it’s me. Stan. I know you guys from the club downtown. Na una dey make things happen nah. We talked on a few occasions. Ee don the sha. But ee never the reach to forget me nah…. You know…

BRUNO: (Cuts in mischievously) Abi? (Mimics Stan) You know us from the club downtown, and we talked on a few occasions, abi? That kind thing. (Glances at is boys, and they join him in a mischievous laugh) I feel you bro. (Sternly and thuggishly) So you feel say you fit come put mouth for my business because of say you jamb us for club, eh? (Advances towards him to possibly give him a hit while still voicing out gangster threats) So me and you don turn mates nah,, no be so?

STAN: (Pleads while retreating to prevent an unexpected blow) No be like that. I bin just dey feel the guy pain as I see you dey take on am like that. So I just felt I could come plead on his behalf since me and you rub minds one time like that. I no bin know say the thing go piss you off like this.

BRUNO: (Farther advancing towards Stan fiercely) You bin dey feel him pain, so you want come rescue am unto superman wey you be. (Having advanced so much away from the victim towards Stan, the victim quickly rose and ran away to escape from Bruno. Bruno’s boys chase after him but can’t catch him. Then Bruno transfers all his aggression on Stan) Boy! You see wetin you don cause? Can you see what you have caused? You made that guy run away! Do you have any idea how long it took me to find that guy? Do you? (Paces back and forth in anger, possibly figuring out what to do now. Then he moves back to Stan) That guy owes me money. And he’s been dodging me for a long time now. I finally caught him today and was about to beat my money out of him. But you came along and caused him to escape. Boy you don buy wahala oh! You know what? You’re gonna have to pay the cash now! N100, 000k

STAN: What????

BRUNO: Sharap!!! Wetin be what? You dey craze? I say na you go pay the money now! You hear me so!

STAN: Mehn, I ain’t gat that kind of money anywhere!

BRUNO: (Pissed off completely by his audacity) Na me you dey call mehn? (Rushes to him) Shey na me you dey call mehn? (Pounces on Stan, and his boys join him rough handle Stan big time, all the while reciting the same lines) Na you go pay the money! Idiot! (Ceases the brutality and gives a final warning) Now listen, I give you one week to come up with the N100, 000k. If one week pass and you no wire me that N100, 000 eh, na your body go tell you. Bastard! And if you like, try to escape. When I finally catch you, na die be that. (Gives him one last hit as he yells) Come on disappear! (Stan manages to lift himself and limply runs off the scene) Mtcheeeeeew! All these yeye school boys wey dey feel say na to speak English be am. Mek the money no dey my hand next week. Na devil go punish you! (Camera pictures him leaving the scene with his boys)

Lights fade...

Click here to continue reading; WHITE PAPER 2

Comments