EXTRA SUGAR

Many years had passed by without the extra sugar in my tea. And being quite a while without it, I forget its extra sweetness. Of cause it wasn't even to be desired so I got a lot of thumbs up, for ants were far from my dwelling since there was nothing calling onto them. I had become so fair in complexion that even the sun's heat could do nothing to change the color of my skin. I built myself houses on the mountain away from the dangers of the valleys. They all knew where I lived; just that it took a great deal to climb up there, so I barely had visitors. That's how I learned to dwell in Islands with my mind being my one and only companion.

 But then, the eagles would fly pass my roof frequently to wherever to do whatever whenever. I could imagine it all, so I turned down all their offers and wouldn't honor any of their invitations. One day as the eagles flew pass my roof, something fell from one of them to my roof and rolled down till it fell on the ground. I went out to check what it was and found it. Guess what it was; 'THE EXTRA SUGAR'

 I took it and threw it down the mountain, intending for it to land at the valley where I suspected the eagles usually flew to but instead, it landed just between the valley and my dwelling. I could even see it whenever I looked down there. I left it there, thinking, 'if it survives the sun, it definitely won't survive the rain. But time passed, and time passed again, still, the extra sugar remained as new and fresh as in the day it was produced. Then I wondered, how could something not to be desired hold such sweetness for the tongue, and beautiful according to eye's judgment? And above all, with a life span as that of the air. And I wondered again, why did it have to fall from the eagles at this point? It could have done so some distance away where I wouldn't have seen it. Now after such a long while, here it is again at my doorstep, delivered by eagle. What could be going on? SO I DECIDED TO FIND OUT; (WRONG MOVE)

 So I walked down the mountain towards the extra sugar to take a more closer look at it than I have in quite a number years (CURIOSITY). As I walked down carefully, my feet hit some pieces of rocks which rolled in their pieces towards it, causing it to roll further down from where it was. I took caution and became more careful with my movement. But again, when I got close to it, the wind came and blew it further down again. So I went down again towards it, staggering on the surface of the mountain, and this time, I got it! Wow! 

Looking at the extra sugar! I found that my knowledge of extra sugars was limited as what I found bit my imagination; I fed my eyes with the beauty of the extra sugar until it was satisfied, but then, the tongue felt cheated. I wasn't ready to pay attention to my tongue's hunger for the sugar's sweetness because overtime, I had learned of the danger it could cause the body system. While I was still contemplating on how to settle with my tongue without it tasting the extra sugar, I heard someone screaming my name from the top of the mountain (my house). Immediately, I dropped the extra sugar and began climbing back up. It wasn't easy, for I had come a long way down. 

Finally, I reached home but amazingly, I couldn't find the one who had been calling out to me all the while. So I thought, could the person have been an angel? And I said no way! It's just someone who came looking for me and left because he couldn't find me. I checked back to see if the extra sugar was anyway close but didn't see it. I must have thrown it far down the mountain to where it would never be seen by me again. So I got into my house and started reminiscing on the experience I just had with the extra sugar. My eyes joined me but my tongue didn't. Seeing my tongue was without joy, I promised to let have a test of the extra sugar the next time I comes around. My tongue rejoiced on hearing that. But in my heart I thought, 'the extra sugar will never come around again’, for its first visit was as a result of carelessness on a silly eagle's part. I played a fast one on my tongue. But my eyes kept the memory of the extra sugar. 

Sometime later, the eagles returned from wherever as usual and I listened carefully to hear if anything will be dropped on my roof so I could go get it and dispose of it before anyone else found it, especially my tongue. But they flew pass completely and I heard no sound of anything dropping, and I relaxed. Some moment later, my tongue started leaping inside my mouth, something must be wrong; I've never experienced this before. I gave it food, fruit juice, and even sugar but it just wouldn't take them. I asked, what's wrong? Come with me, it replied. Okay then. I followed it to my pool side where it stopped. And I asked, why did you bring me here? It said look, pointing to the center of my pool. And I looked and behold, there was the extra sugar, floating on the surface of the water without dissolving. 

I've never seen a floating sugar before, have you? Don't be amazed, said the extra sugar. What??? You've got to be kidding me. Did the sugar just speak?? Oh no, no, no. I've got to get rid of this sugar right away. My tongue objected and I scolded it. What sugar talks and wouldn't dissolve in water? The extra sugar spoke again saying; I don't dissolve in water, I only dissolve in saliva. How do I know that? I asked. It replied, by licking me. Hell no! The extra sugar isn't good for my health so I can't. And my tongue said; of cause it isn’t, that’s why you don’t have to swallow it. And the sugar exclaimed, YES! How did you get into my pool, I asked the extra sugar and it replied, a silly eagle dropped me off when they flew pass not quite long ago. Why? I asked. Seems like everything and everyone wants to get rid of me, it replied. I'm even tired of everyone and everything said the extra sugar. I want to be gotten rid of. How's that possible when you seem to be indispensable? It is, said the extra sugar. Just dissolve me in your saliva and spit me out, since I’m not good for your health, then I'll be gone for good. Hmm, sounds like a good idea, and my tongue concurs to it. SO I DECIDED TO DO IT (ANOTHER WRONG MOVE)



To be continued

Comments