BEFORE YOU SAY I DO (Episode 1)


SCENE 1 – SONIA’S APARTMENT – EVENING

RHODA: Sonia, I know you are very intelligent and careful especially when it comes to matters of the heart. But this is not something you should try to handle alone. For crying out loud you’re about saying yes to a man who hasn’t even seen or spoken to your parents, not to mention seeking spiritual counsel to know whether or not the journey you’re about to embark on will be a successful one. Or are you not interested in knowing what God’s will for this whole thing is?


SONIA:    Listen Rhoda, I do not intend to let Felix know I have agreed to his marriage proposal yet. Of course he’ll have to meet my pastor before I say yes to him. Just that I’m already seeing the both of us making a wonderful family with the most beautiful kids ever.

RHODA: It sounds like you have it all planned out already. What then is the essence of counting three before two? Aren’t you supposed to take Felix to see your pastor before making your decision to marry him? His guidance and counsel is supposed to help you make a good decision.

SONIA: There’s nothing more to be seen about Felix. Believe me, I have seen it all. They will all accept him.

RHODA: And what if they don’t?

SONIA:    Don’t be negative Rhoda. They will. By the way, what about that your struggling fiancé? Has he gathered up enough money to pay for your bride price yet? (Laughs)

RHODA: Hey! Hey! Hey! Sonia. I won’t have you talk about my fiancé like that. Martins might not be as rich as your American returnee fiancé, but he’s okay for me. At least, I know what God’s will is concerning us. I’ve gotten my parents’ and pastor’s approval to go ahead with the wedding. We just believe God for money to kick start the whole thing.
SONIA:    You don’t have to tell me that. I’m aware. I’m sure he’s trying to get his committee of friends to contribute money for him to marry you. (Laughs mockingly)

RHODA: Sonia, stop yabbing my fiancé. God will make a way for us.

SONIA:  I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to depress you with my words. Friends don’t do that to each other. I was just joking. Okay. I have an idea. Since we are friends and are getting married almost at the same time, why don’t we do it together?

RHODA: You mean a double wedding?

SONIA:    Yes! A double wedding. You and Martins alongside Felix and I.

RHODA: (Excited) That will be great! (Rhoda’s countenance drops) As wonderful as that sounds, the problem still remains money. My Martins does not have enough money yet to pull that off. And I know how high your test is when it comes to things like that. Just go ahead with yours my dear. Martins and I will find a way to do ours in our own little way. Let us not come and spoil your fun.

SONIA: Come on Rhoda, what are friends for? You don’t have to worry about the bills. Felix and I will take care of them. Just tell Martins to do all he can with the money he has. The rest will be handled by Felix and me.

RHODA: You’re kidding me right? (Rejoices with a shout). Thank you so much Sonia. God will surely reward you for this. You are truly a friend indeed. But be that as it may, I still insist you seek proper spiritual counsel concerning your marriage to Felix. If along the line he is discovered not to be the right guy for you, you drop him and wait on the Lord as you have been all these years. After all, you are not desperate. God’s will is very important in everything we do.

SONIA: I have heard you Rhoda. I will do just as you have said. In fact, if you have nothing doing, we can go and see our pastor right away to seek spiritual counsel. My parents believe so much in him and regard his counsel as the word of God. They’ll go well with whatever he says.

RHODA: Oh no. I have nothing doing. Even if I had, I would gladly suspend it for this purpose. Let’s go right away.

SONIA:    Alright. (Murmurs) I pray he talks well oo. He better not say anything negative.

RHODA: What did you say?

SONIA:    Nothing. Let’s go.

SCENE 2 – PASTOR’S OFFICE – DAYS LATER

PASTOR: Sonia, I can’t believe that I, your pastor would say something and you argue. Don’t you know that I make my judgments from a spiritual point of view? Why is your fiancé avoiding seeing me? There’s just something about that young man that I can’t place at the moment. But I know for a fact that marrying him won’t be a good idea. Why not pray a little more and ask God to open your eyes to see all there is about this young man before giving in on his proposal?

SONIA:    Honestly sir, I don’t think there is a single detail I don’t have about Felix. Secondly, he meets all my standards and if I let him go now, I don’t know if I’ll ever see someone like him again.
PASTOR: And what are these standards of yours if I may ask?

SONIA:    He is well educated, has charisma, is rich and able to take care of me and the children I’ll have with him, and he’s also very handsome to mention a few.

PASTOR: You baffle me with your words Sonia. You are making your judgments based on physical appearance only? What about the spiritual aspects? Is he a true child of God? Has he learnt about marriage to know how to remain in it? It’s not just the wedding you should be concerned about. Marriage is actually a lifetime commitment. Are you both ready to make the necessary sacrifices to make it work? And are you forgetting that this young man just returned from the US? It’s barely a year now since he returned and he wants to take a bride already? Do you even know his parents?

SONIA: He is an orphan. His uncle is the one standing as his father now.

PASTOR: Hmmm, your mind is obviously made up already. I just wish you are not making a mistake. However, I would like to see him. Tell him to see me before you go any further with this matter.

SONIA:    Okay sir. I’ll tell him.

PASTOR: That’s good. I pray the Lord guides and direct you on this matter.

SONIA:    Amen! Thank you very much sir. I’ll be on my way now.

PASTOR: God bless you. (Pastor watches Sonia as she leaves and says); I wish you would just listen and obey. I really wish you would just listen and obey)

SCENE 3 – PASTOR’S OFFICE – DAYS LATER

FELIX: Good day pastor.

PASTOR: Good day young man. You are welcome.

FELIX: Thank you sir. Sir I must apologize for not coming to see you before now concerning Sonia. I’ve been really busy lately. Please accept my apology.

PASTOR: That’s okay young man. Well, Sonia has mentioned to me that you want to marry her. That’s a good thing. But young man I would like to know if you are convinced from the inside that you’re ready for this.

FELIX: I couldn’t be more ready sir. I have made a lot of money, built myself houses here and there; I have investments everywhere and a fleet of cars. In fact sir, I have all it takes to take care of a woman for a lifetime. I can even take her to the moon if she’s ready to go there.

PASTOR: I see you have done well for yourself and have it all. But have you prayed about it?

FELIX: Pray? Well, I said a little prayer, and I believe God heard me.

PASTOR: A little prayer? Do you think that is enough? Secondly, have you gone through counseling in order to be well guided in the step you’re about to take?

FELIX: My uncle has said a few things to me concerning this. And honestly sir, I have everything under control.
PASTOR: Hmm, so where do you worship young man?

FELIX: Well, while I was in America I worshiped with LIFELINE ASSEMBLY. But I’ve not found a church for myself yet since I returned to Nigeria. Maybe I’ll become a part of this assembly since I’m marrying a girl from here.

PASTOR: You mean you haven’t been going to church for the past one year?

FELIX: Not exactly. I’ve been here a couple of times on invitation. But I promise to be regular once I’m married. I have to show my wife and children an example to follow.

PASTOR: That’s very thoughtful of you. But you might find it a bit difficult to start then since you have not been doing it as a single man. Nevertheless, you can use your last days as a single man to do the things you should have been from long ago. That way, you will enter into marriage with that euphoria, and continue by the grace of God.

FELIX: What are you suggesting pastor?

PASTOR: Since you have decided to be a part of this assembly because of Sonia, I am suggesting that you start up as soon as you can. You see, inasmuch as we are bent on ensuring a blissful marital affair for the children of God in our midst, we are also and more interested in the souls of men. For indeed, marital bliss is easily achievable by people whose souls are saved.

FELIX: Sir, I know you want the best for Sonia, and I promise to be that best. But I can’t just get all engaged with church services and responsibilities right now. There are a lot in my hands at the moment. But I’m sure I’ll be good to go once I settle down.

PASTOR: What in the world makes you think that it would be easier for you to do so as a married man than as a single man?

FELIX: Believe me sir; I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me. With God, all things are possible.

PASTOR: Okay. If you say so.

FELIX: Thanks you sir. I’ll be on my way now to see Sonia. We’ll make sure to inform you when we fix the date for our wedding. Good bye for now pastor.

PASTOR: Goodbye. (Reaches for his phone and calls Sonia)

SONIA:    Hello pastor.

PASTOR: Hello Sonia. How are you?

SONIA:    I’m fine pastor.

PASTOR: Good. Now listen to me Sonia, I have spoken with that young man you intend to get married to, and I can tell you categorically that he is not a husband material. I advise you to bring all your plans to a halt until he is confirmed otherwise. If not, you may be headed for disaster. There is something about that young man that is out of place.

SONIA:    But pastor (Pastor Interrupts)

PASTOR: I have spoken to you as one who is spiritually over you. It will be wisdom to heed my words. Try and see me soon.

SONIA:    Okay sir.

PASTOR: Goodbye. (Hangs up)

SONIA:    But sir.., hello.., hello.., he’s gone. What am I supposed to do now? I have already concluded all arrangements in my mind. Oh God, how do I handle all these now? And I love this young man like crazy. Oh’ why me? Why me?

FELIX: (Knocks on the door)

SONIA: Who’s there? Come in please. The door is open.

FELIX: (Walks in) Hello beautiful.

SONIA:    (Cheers up by his complement) Hi there. You didn’t tell me you were coming. Is this supposed to be one of you numerous surprises? Please have a sit.

FELIX: Thank you darling. You see, I’m just coming from seeing your pastor now and our conversation was excellent. He’s such a wonderful man. He has given us his blessing already. Can you imagine that? But just one more thing and my joy will be complete. You haven’t said yes to my proposal ever since I proposed. And now I’m here one more time to ask you again; my dear Sonia, WILL YOU MARRY ME?

To be continued…….

Click below to read any PARTS you missed...

EPISODE 1
EPISODE 2
EPISODE 3
EPISODE 4

Comments