THE BLOODSTAINED SAINT

FADE IN:
INT. TRACY & EVE’S BEDROOM - DAY
Eve is seen beholding her image on a mirror. She wears a black female singlet and a black bum-short. Her hair is scattered. She’s unkempt, tattoos of snake, seductive ladies, & horrible creatures are littered over her body. She’s bothered about her look, as she sizes herself up on the mirror. She grabs a comb and combs her hair. In the process, a portion of hair falls off her head with the comb. It worries her more. She manages to make her hair presentable, masks her poorly appealing  face with makeup, grabs a fine white blouse and compliments it with a fine white ankle-level pencil skirt. She transforms to an image to behold, looking all churchly.

FADE TO BLACK.
-----

INT. YOUTH EXCOS MEETING - MOMENTS LATER
We see Sam, Martha, Eve, Tracy, and others in a meeting to appraise themselves for their services to God. On Tracy’s face, there’s obvious enigmatic admiration for Sam. Eve notices.
-----

SAM
Our environment promises to be a better place with sermons by our preachers increasingly spreading across the streets and influencing the lives of the people positively. If things keep on this way, we may just see the heaven we’ve heard so much about right here on earth, and it wouldn’t the doing of famed clergies but us.

MARTHA
Many outlaws have transformed to saints. This surrounding has been sanitized of great filth. We do not only have our preachers to thank for this cleansing but also all of you who make commendable efforts to spread their sermons on the streets.

TRACY
We particularly have Sam to appraise for his zeal and commitment to this work. To the rest of us, know this; it’s a privilege to be instrumental to the filling of the earth with the knowledge of God. In due season, you shall reap your rewards. God bless!

FADE TO:
-----

EXT. DOWN THE ROAD - CONTINUOUS
Eve and Tracy are on their way home from the meeting. They discuss about Sam and Tracy’s obvious admiration of him, which was overly obvious from her appraisal of Sam earlier on.
-----

EVE
So what was that look on your face back there?

TRACY
What look?

EVE
Come on Tracy, don’t play dumb with me. I saw it all over your face at the meeting. You’re into Sam, girl, aren’t you? It was all over your face while you appraised him.

-----
Tracy spontaneously reacts by lightly striking Eve’s shoulder in an effort to not really hide the fact. It’s a consenting gesture of seeming disagreement...girly way of denying the obvious.
-----

TRACY
You sef!

EVE
Me what? It’s too obvious joor! Don’t even try to hide it.

TRACY
Well, there’s just this thing about him that gets to me. I can’t say what exactly it is. But there’s something; maybe his approach to the faith, his commitment, you know?

EVE
I guess Martha couldn’t care less about his approach to the faith and his commitment; reason she bounced his “faithful” marriage proposal. Hahaha.

TRACY
What’s that one? Please stop being ridiculous. We all have our preferences.

EVE
Don’t we? Anyway, I have to be on my way home now. Do take care, and good luck with Sam. He seems to be you preference...Mr. Commitment and Faithful Shepherd.

TRACY
You’re not serious.

-----
Both girls path ways. Eve’s face is captured again. We see her giving a mischievous smile. It is obvious she could be up to some devilish scheme...like some vicious scheme up her sleeves.

CUT TO:
-----

EXT. DOWN THE ROAD - CONTINUOUS
Sam and Martha walk down the road chatting graciously. Martha is overwhelmed by Sam’s persona. She rains him praises as usual. Sam warms up to her praises like the gentleman he is.
-----

MARTHA
Sam, your approach to the faith is simply amazing! At times I wonder if a greater measure of grace was bestowed on you than the rest of us. Each passing day, we marvel at your grand persona. It takes great confidence to not feel insecure by you.

SAM
Like I always say, thank you.

MARTHA
My pleasure. Some day I’ll grow in grace like you have. I admire you.

SAM
I don’t understand how you can admire me so much but wouldn’t agree to marry me.

MARTHA
Oh Sam; not again. We’ve been through this over and over. I’ve told you I’m not ready to marry yet. Don’t pressurize me into making a decision I’m not ready for.

SAM
But Martha...

MARTHA
(Cuts in)
Stop Sam. Just stop, please. I’ll see you later. Do take care.

-----
Martha walks away, leaving Sam devastated. He gathers himself and proceeds.

CUT TO:
-----

EXT. SCHOOL FIELD - CONTINUOUS
Eve is sighted from afar telling a story to a child. Camera zooms in on her.
-----

EVE
And that’s how little David killed the mighty Goliath.

CHILD
Wow!

EVE
The most interesting part of the story is that you can be as great as little David. All you have to do is to be a child after God’s heart like the little David was, alright?

CHILD
How do I do that?

EVE
By doing exactly what he did. He loved God so much. He used to sing Him praises. He trusted Him and obeyed His word. He never insulted his parents or his teachers.

-----
Camera cuts away to reveal Sam walking by. Eve notices.
-----

EVE
My dear boy, this is where I’ll end my story for today. I’ll tell you another story the next time I come around. Go home now to your parents...and be a good boy, okay?

CHILD
Okay Auntie.

-----
The child leaves while Eve hurries to catch up with Sam who had walked past.
-----

EVE
(Calls out from a distance behind)
Sam! Sam!

-----
Sam turns to her.
-----

EVE
Please wait!

-----
She paces a little fast to catch up with him with an exaggerated feminine appeal. There’s this babyish smile of excitement on her face as she approaches Sam but Sam can’t place the mystery behind her welcoming appealingness. He, however, tries to maintain indifference.
-----

EVE
Hello Sam.

SAM
Hi Eve.

EVE
I stopped by this path just to see you. I know it’s your normal route home. I have always yearned to have some talks with you...you know, hang out with you a little.
(grabs him by the hand gently)
How are you today?

-----
Camera pans upward to capture the sun in the sky and keeps its focus on the sun until we see the sun quickly turn to moon to indicate a transition in time from afternoon to evening.

FADE TO:
-----

EXT. SAM’S APARTMENT - EVENING
Sam and Eve are established walking down discussing and smiling innocently to each other’s jokes. It continues until they get to Sam’s doorpost where they halt to round up their talks.
-----

SAM
(Halts and turns to her)
Thanks for walking me home. I appreciate. But I’ll have to walk you down the road so you can get a cab home. It is late and unsafe for a lady to walk these streets alone.

EVE
Get a cab home? C’mon Sam, it’s boring at home. Why can’t I just stay with you for a while before going home? It’s boring at home; no thanks to that roommate of mine.

-----
Eve swings her upper region to really express her unreadiness to go. There’s this seductive babyish look on Eve’s face; her way of getting Sam to consent to her term. There’s also this seeming uncertain unanimous look on Sam’s face. He conquers his fear and indulges her idea.

CUT TO:
-----

INT. SAM’S APARTMENT - CONTINUOUS
Camera pans across Sam’s room. It is filled with heavenly aura. There are differently labelled cardboards, decently stamped all through the wall, each labelled with a righteous deed. As the camera pans across, we see love, gentleness, joy, peace, faith, truth, contentment, sincerity, focus, zeal, commitment, prayer, revelation, compassion, righteousness, visionary, purposeful, impatient, ego, sensitivity, and godly. The door pops open. Sam and Eve make entrance from the outside. Sam ushers Eve in and closes the door behind. Eve notices the cardboards and the inscriptions on them. She’s devilishly impressed, as she runs her keen eyes through them all.
-----

EVE
What they say about you is true after all.

SAM
Is what they say about you any less true?

EVE
I don’t know. You tell me.

-----
Eve casts off her fashionable blouse, leaving her tempting upper region with nothing but a singlet, her alluring arms in full display. Sam notices the tattoos and expresses light shock.
-----

SAM
(Points to her tattoos)
Eve, what are these?

EVE
What? Oh, you mean these? They’re nothing; just a symbol of my humanity. I’m not God, you know. It’s a trendy thing that many normal folks out there are into.

-----
Sam is short of words, shocked, confused, and uneasy. He can barely even look Eve in the eye.
-----

EVE
Aren’t you even gonna offer me a drink?

SAM
(Stutters)
I... erm... I...

EVE
(Cuts in)
What Sam? Do I inconvenience you? Would you like me to leave?

SAM
I wouldn’t put it that way. It’s just that...

EVE
(Cuts in)
Ever asked yourself why Martha wouldn’t agree to your proposal? Maybe it’s because you’re a god and she’s just human like me. Maybe if you were a little more human, she would jump at your proposal. No one wants to be subject to momentary judgement, not to mention a lifetime of it. I’m sorry I tried to be human with you.
(Picks her blouse and leaves a sarcastic remark)
I’ll be on my way now. Forgive me for my sins, Lord.

-----
Eve makes for the door but Sam holds her back to make some explanations.
-----

SAM
Eve, I didn’t mean to make you feel less about yourself. There are downsides to every man, and I never impose myself as a god. Is that how I come off to you guys?

EVE
Are you kidding me? Maybe you should pose that question to your sweet Martha. I know for a fact that she’ll rather say yes to a rakish bachelor than to heavenly Sam.

SAM
What does that mean?

EVE
Goodbye Sam.

-----
Eve makes to leave again but Sam holds her back with a little bit of force.
-----

SAM
Tell me what you know about Martha and I. Why is she turning me down?

EVE
(Sarcasm)
Did you just use force on me? And, are you condescending? Take a look at me, Sam. Do I look like the kind of girl you’d love to have a word with? A word revolving around a sensitive topic like marriage? Let me go before I defile you with my filth!

SAM
Eve please, stop this! I don’t know what kind of girl you think you are, but you’re no different to me. I know I startled earlier on sighting your tattoos. But come on, that was a normal reaction, you know? I mean, I never expected that...that...you...

-----
Sam stutters at that point and Eve takes the words from his mouth.
-----

EVE
Never expected me to be the she-devil you so dread, right?

SAM
Enough of this! Just tell me about Martha please!

-----
Eve drops her blouse, walks too close to Sam as though attempting to kiss him.
-----

EVE
Martha is a girl like me. I know what fascinates us. A girl may have a deep admiration for a good boy and yearns to be friends with him, but that’s all he’ll ever get from her: friendship! What every girl really wants is a bad boy. You know why? Cuz good boys go to heaven. But bad boys bring heaven to us! Get the vibe, Sam!
(Reaches for his chin and caresses it)
If you want Martha to come running helplessly to you, you’ve got to stop presenting yourself as one who’ll only further repress her possible hidden yearning for guilty pleasure with too much morality. You’ve got to be that one guy who will give free rein to her crazy fantasies; the bad boy who will bring heaven to her. If you want, I can show you how. But I completely understand if you don’t. Good boys don’t flex!

-----
Sam runs short of words. Eve notices, reaches out to him, grabs his left hand and pulls it to her hips seductively. She runs her other hand to his chest, slowly unbuttoning his shirt while giving him a crazy seductive look. Sam is soon consumed; he gives in. Camera moves from them to the wall. Three cardboards fall off: visionary, purposeful, godly. We see different shots of Eve visiting Sam again on different days as marked by the changes in their costumes per visit. On each visit, they indulge more guilty pleasures. As that happens, more cardboards fall off the wall and are replaced with new cardboards labeled with lethal sins. A backsliding.

FADE TO BLACK.
-----

INT. TRACY & EVE’S BEDROOM - DAYS LATER
We see Tracy beautifully dressed and adoring herself on the mirror. She’s impressed by herself. But then, she slides up her blouse to reveal her belly. We see tattoos of snakes on her back and around her belly button. Her countenance drops as she sets eyes on it. It’s obvious she loathes it. While she still holds up her blouse to view the tattoo, the door pops open. It’s Eve, her roommate. She quickly covers herself up in a manner that rouses Eve’s suspicion.
-----

EVE
Did you just startle?

TRACY
Of course! Who wouldn't, with you barging in like that? You should learn to knock!

EVE
Are you kidding me? The last time I checked, this was my room too.

TRACY
The fact that we’re roommates doesn’t mean we shouldn’t observe certain ethics. Ethics are ethics, you know... Anyway, I’m off to the meeting. Are you coming?

EVE
Later, babes. I have to do some packing. You know I’m leaving for camp tomorrow.

TRACY
Oh, oh, oh. Do you know I forgot you’re leaving tomorrow? It’s going to be so lonely here. Congratulations darling. Come here. Give me a hug. I’ll really miss you, girl.
(Moves to Eve and hugs her.)
You can still do the packing after the meeting. You don’t want to be late for your last meeting with the brethren before leaving for camp. Come on! Let’s go already!

EVE
Don worry. I won’t take much time. I’ll be there before you know it.

TRACY
Alright then. See you there.

-----
Tracy leaves. Eve takes a moment to wonder at Tracy’s strange behavior. She can’t place it. She dismisses the thoughts and walks to the mirror. She takes a look at herself, then pulls her jacket to take a look at herself. With only a singlet covering her upper region, we see her arms and chest, differently tattooed. She’s dispirited, as she examines herself on the mirror.

FADE TO:
-----

INT. YOUTH EXCOS MEETING - MOMENTS LATER
Sam, Martha, Eve, Tracy, and the others are in the meeting. Eve soon becomes the center of attention at the meeting on account of her leave for NYSC camp the next day. It’s all love.
-----

MARTHA
Dear Eve, our prayers go with you as you leave for camp tomorrow. We will miss you greatly. We pray you serve your fatherland committedly like you’ve served in the house of the Lord. May God go with you and bring you back to us in one peace.

CUT TO:
-----

EXT. DOWN THE ROAD - CONTINUOUS
Martha and others further congratulate Eve. Sam watches from a distance in wait for Martha the moment she’s done talking with Eve. Finally, Martha bids Eve farewell and walks off. At that moment, Sam hurries to meet her but is intercepted by Tracy who is in such high spirit.
-----

TRACY
Hi Sam!

SAM
(Pulls back)
Tracy! 

TRACY
Yes Sam.

SAM
You scared me!

TRACY
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. So what are you doing here standing all alone?

SAM
I... I...

-----
Sam peeps over Tracy’s shoulder to take a look at Martha. He sees her boarding a cab. Tracy calls back his attention. He snaps out of reverie to face the soon-to-be ugly reality before him.
-----

TRACY
You what?

SAM
Never mind. So how are you? You look radiant in this outfit!

TRACY
You don’t mean it.

SAM
I mean every word. Flip around so I can have a full view.

-----
Tracy excitedly flips around. In the process, her blouse pulls up a bit. Sam notices the tattoos. But he simply lets out a mischievous smile. Tracy ends the spin and faces Sam with a smile.
-----

SAM
Take it from me, you’re the most beautiful.

TRACY
Awwwwn. Thank you.

SAM
I guess you’re on your way home. Please do me the honor of walking you home.

TRACY
Uhm, not exactly, Sam. I wanna, maybe hangout a little, take a walk, I don’t know. I don’t feel like going home. It’s boring at home; no thanks to that roommate of mine.

-----
We see Tracy giving a vaguely tempting feminine appeal. Camera captures Sam’s face as he observes her. He thinks he knows exactly what she wants. He flashes back on Eve’s words.
-----

EVE (V.O.)
A girl may have a deep admiration for a good boy and yearn to be friends with him. But that’s all he’ll ever get from her: friendship. What every girl really wants is a bad boy. You know why? Because good boys go to heaven. But the bad boys bring heaven to us. You’ve got to be that one guy who will give free rein to her crazy fantasies; the bad boy who will bring heaven to her.

SAM
I know exactly where to take you.

TRACY
Where?

SAM
Heaven.

-----
Tracy blushes unsurely. Sam lends her his hand and asks her to come with him. Puzzled by his words, Tracy takes his hand and he leads her along. We see excitement on Tracy’s face.

FADE TO:
-----

INT. SAM’S APARTMENT - CONTINUOUS
Camera pans across a shadowy dark room with random rays of light finding their way through the window. Differently labelled cardboards are stamped on the wall, each labelled with a particular sin. We see lies, deceit, malice, theft, lust, drunkenness, pride, greed, stubbornness, hypocrisy, and laziness. The door pops open. Sam and Tracy make entrance from the outside.
-----

SAM
You’re welcome to my world.

TRACY
You didn’t tell me you were bringing me to your house.

-----
Tracy’s countenance drops as she notices the cardboards and the inscriptions on them. She’s a bit shocked, as she never expected a “noble” personality like Sam to indulge such practices. Howbeit, she keeps cool. By now, Sam is all eased up and free. Tracy isn’t really at ease. She considered Sam a saint. But seeing those inscriptions on the wall leaves her speechless. She casts stares at the inscriptions one after the other. She’s too awestruck to speak. Sam notices.
-----

SAM
Is everything alright?

TRACY
(Hesitantly)
Yes.

SAM
You suddenly seem uneasy.

-----
Not saying a word, she points Sam to the cardboards on the wall and the inscriptions on them. Sam takes a look, returns his gaze to her, and gives her a gently stern baffling teasing look.
-----

SAM
Does that bother you?

-----
Tracy gives a fearful nod of affirmation. Sam then walks to her, caresses and arranges her hair, runs his hand through her chic and chin down to her neck, holds her blouse on the neck and pulls it off her, giving way to her tattooed belly. Sam fixes his eyes on the tattoo. Shame absorbs Tracy but she stays calm. At this point Tracy is unsure what’s likely to happen next.
-----

SAM
I wouldn’t expect that to bother you. Why are you bothered?

-----
Tracy is consumed by silence and shame. She can’t say a word. She stands there, obviously vulnerable to Sam. It’s also obvious she wouldn’t want to go any further with Sam. But she just can’t make any objections. On the contrary, Sam is filled with the excitement of an adventure, as can be seen all over his face. Noticing Tracy’s vulnerability and helplessness at the moment, Sam goes further to take off his shirt; button by button, in a seductive manner.

Tracy watches him off his shirt to reveal deadly tattoos all over: from skull, to devil’s head, to mermaid face, cigarette, with some sins tattooed all over as well. Camera pans across Sam’s body to reveal the deadly tattoos along with boldly tattooed sins including anger, fury, rage, self-centeredness, insensitivity, uncaring, godless, avarice, vengeance, immoral, gambling, and mammon. On seeing these, Tracy trembles with great fear, all expressed on her face.
-----

SAM
You ambushed me after the meeting. I’m guessing you wanted a partner to indulge a few guilty pleasures with; someone to bring heaven to you...some sort of bad boy?

-----
Sam turns away, grabs a bottle of drink with two glasses, turns again to Tracy and says:
-----

SAM
I’m simply obliging to lead you down that path. I’d expect you to glow with fervor, not dispirited like you seem to now be. Or, is this not what you silently asked for?

TRACY
This is too much for me; more than I asked for.

SAM
Seducing an upright man out of the right path for your own pleasure is what you asked for? Isn’t that a bit selfish and wicked? What happened to birds of a feather flocking together? You and I have something in common. I’m just a little more of what we are. Kill your fears. We have a lot to indulge. Let me pour you a drink.

-----
Sam pours the drink into the two glasses. At that exact moment, he hears a door slam behind him. Turning sharply, he notices Tracy has taken to her heels. He rushes to the door, opens it up and sees her running away...helter-skelter. He calls out to her but she ignores his call. He makes to chase her but realizes he is bare body. He retreats, unable to imagine why Tracy would bail out on him in such manner. Worried and confused, he retreats further, thinking, wondering, and afraid. Camera pans in on his fear-struck face. Sam is unsure what comes next.

FADE TO BLACK.
-----

I/E. RANDOM LOCATIONS - DAY
Regretful song fades in. We see shots of church folks gossiping about Sam, Tracy bearing the tale of Sam’s reality. On different occasions, there’s expression of nausea, irritation, & disgust on their faces. It’s apparent they have passed their judgement on Sam--based on Tracy’s tale.

FADE TO:
-----

I/E. SAM'S APARTMENT/EVE’S CAMP - DAY
We notice a phone conversation between Sam and Eve. He’s obviously telling her about Tracy. We notice him complain bitterly while Eve does nothing more than calm him down and cheer him up. We notice Eve suggesting an idea to Sam. He ponders over the idea and finally buys it. They bid each other farewell and hang up. Eve gives him a quick phone kiss.

CUT TO:
-----

INT. TRACY & EVE'S BEDROOM - NEXT DAY
Tracy is in bed reading the bible remorsefully. Her scattered hair and tattooed back/belly very much on display. She seems to be regretting what she did to Sam, as we see her express silent ruefulness. A knock on the door startles her. She quickly hides herself under the sheets.
-----

NEIGHBOUR (O.S.)
Tracy, someone just dropped off a letter for you.

TRACY
(Marvels)
Come in, please.

-----
The neighbour steps in, walks to Tracy in bed and hands over the letter to her.
-----

TRACY
Who still writes letters in this social media age?

NEIGHBOUR
I don’t know. Maybe one of your shy suitors.

TRACY
You’re not serious. Thank you.

NEIGHBOUR
You’re welcome.

-----
Neighbour leaves. Tracy opens and reads. We hear Sam’s voice reading out the letter.
-----

SAM (V.O.)

Tracy, I find it unbelievable that you could paint me black to the people. Did I ever on my own propose an adventure to you like you told the people? Couldn’t you have simply walked away like you did? Did you have to talk? You and I are no different. So why would you do this to me? Had I wronged you in any way before? Come and see me, please. I want us to talk. I just want to know why. I’m shattered.
-----

Tracy bursts into tears as she reads. We see her emotions take over her as she launches into full blown weeping. She truly regrets the deed... crying so loud, almost ripping off the sheets.

FADE TO BLACK.
-----

INT. SAM'S APARTMENT - DAYS LATER
We hear a conversation between Sam and Tracy, as camera pans across Sam’s apartment to reveal the differently sin-labeled cardboards on the wall. As the conversation continues, Camera keeps moving until it has Sam and Tracy on display. Tracy honored Sam’s invitation.
-----

TRACY
I only told the people you asked if I'd be interested in joining you to indulge some guilty pleasures. I said I wasn't really sure if I wanted to. But before I could either consent or decline, you off’d  your shirt & was about to get naughty. I told the truth.

SAM
(Retorts)
Half-truth, you mean to say? Did you tell them you inversely beckoned on me to take you down that path? Did you make known to them your yearning for the thrill of indulging some light guilty pleasures alongside someone you considered a saint?

TRACY
I was only hoping on your light to direct my path.

SAM
By laying ambush for me with a grand sexual appeal?

TRACY
You could have declined, you know?

SAM
Why beckon on me to take you down that path if you hoped on me to decline?

TRACY
Like I said, I was only hoping on your light to direct my path. Enough of this argument already. The past remains unchangeable. But we can do something about the present & the future. There surely is something we can do to redeem your name.

SAM
How do you intend to redeem my name? I'm sure you also didn't tell them we had not started indulging those pleasures when you lost guts and cowardly retreated. What happened to owning up to our actions? To birds of a feather flocking together!

TRACY
(Retorts)
Enough of this verbal attack! Sam, enough! I am not the obvious culprit here! Why don't we see how to redeem your name like I have suggested and let go bygones?

-----
Sam is obviously irritated by her supercilious tone and audacious attitude. But he keeps his cool, seeing that he’s the disadvantaged one. Seeming devilishly curious, he questions her:
-----

SAM
How do you intend to do that?

TRACY
I will go back and tell them the truth. The whole truth this time. I'll tell them I was fighting the temptation of indulging in guilty pleasures when our paths crossed. Seeing you as the stronger one, I beckoned on you for help. You calmed me down and innocently asked if I'd be interested in indulging those pleasures after all. I’ll tell them I wrongly concluded you meant those words. I’ll tell them you only tested to see how vulnerable I was to temptation so you would know the measure of resistance to help me build. But before you had the chance to carry out that noble act, I misjudged you and broke off from you. But I know better now.

SAM
That's not the whole truth! You said you’d tell them the whole truth this time.

TRACY
The truth will do us no good! I'd advice we stick to the plan and get this over with!

-----
Being the disadvantaged one and very much out of options, Sam obliges. Both look each other in the eye with repressed disdain and distrust. There’s paranoia in the air, distrust, & doubts.

FADE OUT.

-----
I/E. SAM'S APARTMENT/EVE'S CAMP - DAYS LATER 
Sam and Eve on the phone.
-----

EVE
Her plan seems like a nice one. The people will buy it. In all my years of living with that girl, I never knew she could be that devilish. I must say I’m impressed.

SAM
I can’t believe she didn’t want heaven brought to her. Or isn’t it true that all girls want haven brought to them? A bad boy to bring heaven to them like you said?

EVE
Stop whining, sweetie. No be every girl wey eye don clear. Perhaps you were too bad for her. Inasmuch as girls want bad boys, if a boy is too bad, he scares her away.

SAM
So I’m too bad now?

EVE
Camp is over in a couple of days. I’m coming home to find that out because, truth be told, I’m really curious to know. I mean, are we talking about the Sam I know here?

-----
Silence and lustful expressions follow that statement. Eve breaks the silence.
-----

EVE
See you in a couple of days, sweetheart.

-----
Both hang up. We see an evil smile on Eve’s face as she jumps into thoughts.
-----

EVE
That’s what you get for screwing me over.

FADE TO BLACK.
-----

EXT. RANDOM LOCATIONS - DAYS LATER
It’s a jolly scene. We see Sam exchanging handshakes and hugs with the people with smiles of admiration on their faces. Tracy’s plan worked. But intermittently, camera captures Tracy expressing disgust and only smiling when someone seems to notice her face. She doesn’t feel the same way about Sam. Sam notices. The look on Tracy’s face somewhat puzzles the people.

CUT TO:
-----

EXT. STREET - CONTINUOUS

SAM
What was the meaning of that?

TRACY
(Retorts)
Meaning of what?

SAM
The way you looked at me back there! Don’t you know people will get suspicious if they notice you always looking at me like that? We pulled off a great plot successfully. Everything is now back to normal. Do you want to ruin it again by always giving me a despising look before the people? You want them to start asking questions?

TRACY
And so what if they start asking questions? So what? Didn’t you hear what people were saying? That you should forgive me because I’m weak in faith? Which is why I make flippant accusations? That everyone should remember me in their prayers so I don’t become an object in the hands of the devil like I almost was? I heard for the first time today that Peter had plans to propose to me but is now reconsidering it because he doubts my mental, emotional, and spiritual stability. Can you imagine that? Can you? And to think that Martha is now more than ever--considering saying yes to you because she now thinks you’re a better man than she thought you were?

SAM
Who’s feeding you all these crap?

TRACY
It’s not crap! I had talks with your Martha and she said things to me! I heard things!

-----
Scene transits to a bypassed one, as Tracy flashes back to her talk with Martha & a few others.
FLASH BACK TO:
-----

INT. YOUTH EXCOS MEETING (AFTER MEETING) - CONTINUOUS
We see Martha encouraging Tracy. Brother Caleb is there too.
-----

MARTHA
Tracy dear, don’t be bothered by what the people are saying. It’s very normal. It’s just a matter of time and all the talks will fade away. I personally commend you for your courage. Not many people would have been brave enough speak a truth that vindicates someone else and somehow implicates them. I really admire your courage. And I’m very proud of you too.

TRACY
Thank you Martha.

CALEB
We’re also sorry about Peter’s decision to not go ahead with his intention of...

MARTHA
(Cuts in)
Caleb! Haba!

-----
Tension in the air, as Tracy gets curious.
-----

TRACY
What is he saying? Peter’s intention of what?

MARTHA
(Sternly to Caleb)
That’s not the best way to tell a girl you like her, you know?

TRACY
Like who? Martha, what’s going on?

MARTHA
(Exhales heavily)
Tracy dear, Peter was going to propose to you. It was going to be a pleasant surprise. But after the whole Sam thing, he decided to hold on just for little a bit.

CALEB
(Continues the statement)
Until you’re vetted as being stable mentally, emotionally, and spiritually too.
(Another stern look from Martha. A fierce one. Caleb defends himself)
That’s what he said nawn! See, Tracy, I think you’re stable! You’re pretty! You’re an amazing girl! And I’ve always liked you. But I couldn’t say these to you because of Peter. Now that he is out of the way, I can bare my mind and have some peace!

MARTHA
(To Caleb angrily)
You’re so unbelievable!

CALEB
(Retorts)
Do I not deserve to be happy too? The last time I checked, you had made up your mind to finally agree to Sam’s proposal, and we have Tracy here to thank for that! Why should she be victimized for being a source of happiness to everyone but herself: your happiness! Sam’s happiness! My happiness! Gosh! We all deserve to be happy!

TRACY
Martha, what’s he talking about?

MARTHA
(Exhales heavily again)
I’m finally giving into Sam’s proposal. All the while, I had some doubts about him. But after your confession, I was certain he is a good person. So I made my decision.

TRACY
And I wasn’t supposed to know about all these?

MARTHA
About me and Sam, of course you were definitely going to know.

CALEB
(Jumps in)
And what about Peter? What about me?
(To Tracy)
Listen Tracy, I’ve always liked you but Peter always had a way of taking your attention away from potential admirers. Seeing how close he was to you, I pulled back & died in silence. But now, no one is standing in the way of you and I again.

MARTHA
(Challenges)
You’re wrong! Peter only said he’s holding on for a while, not backing out!

CALEB
Oh spare me please! You and I know he’s not coming back for her!

MARTHA
Why are you like this, Caleb? You think this is the best way to win her heart?
(To Tracy whose eyes are already welling up with tears)
Don’t listen to Caleb. He’s just desperate. I heard the words from Peter’s mouth. He’s pulling back for a while. It’s a normal reaction, considering what happened. He’ll come through before you know it. I’ll personally talk to him. Have no worries.

-----
As Martha makes effort to cheer Tracy up, she launches into tears and runs off.

BACK TO:
-----

EXT. STREET - CONTINUOUS

TRACY
I lost everything to redeem your name. Peter and I have been very close. I liked him, the same way I liked you. You turned out to be a devil. I can’t say the same about Peter. How could I not suspect he had such plan? And just when he wanted to act on it, you ruined it, you devil! So, I’m just supposed to sit back and watch you tie the nuts with Martha and live happily ever after? Over my dead body! I’m going back to tell everyone the truth; the real truth this time. I am not going down alone!

SAM
That’s gonna ruin things for me again.

TRACY
Who cares? Would you rather have me be the only one ruined? If I go down, you go down with me! I’m not taking the fall for you. Not when the fall is actually yours!

-----
A loud silence follows, as Sam jumps into thoughts. An evil thought obviously crosses his mind, and with an evil tone of voice, he appeals to Tracy’s compassionate side, as he asks:
-----

SAM
So you’re really gonna go back and tell them the real truth?

TRACY
Yes Sam.

SAM
How about we cook up something to tell them like we did before?

TRACY
Something like what?

SAM
Why don’t we go to my place and figure something out?

-----
Tracy takes a look at Sam. Moved by his dull and pitiful countenance, she gives in.

CUT TO:
-----

INT. SAM'S APARTMENT - MOMENTS LATER 
Sam enters with two glasses of wine for himself and Tracy. He pours Tracy a drink.
-----

TRACY
Thank you.

-----
Sam and Tracy begin mapping out a strategy. We see flash shots of them obviously putting heads together and seemingly reaching a consensus. But soon enough, Tracy reaches for her Tommy where she suddenly starts feeling pain. Before long, she starts convulsing. She looks at Sam in total wonder, as Sam just sits and stares at her devilishly. As Tracy loses life, we see flash shots of a flashback to when Sam poured the drinks. As it turns out, he’d poisoned hers.

FLASH BACK TO:
-----

We see Sam stuck in-between decisions to poison or to not poison Tracy’s drink. He overcomes his fear and conscience and poisons hers. He picks up the glasses and walks out.

BACK TO:
-----

Sam rises to meet Tracy who is now on the ground, struggling for life. He walks towards her and squats. Running his hand through her hair, he utters what would be his last words to her.
-----

SAM
My name is a rallying cry that should never have been temporarily dented. I can’t afford to let you dent it again. How we view ourselves is of little consequence. But how others perceive us is important. So much depends on my reputation, you know?

-----
Rises and takes a sip of wine from his glass. Squats again with the glass in his hand and says:
-----

SAM
I will guard my reputation with my life. And if it comes to guarding it with the life of another, I will as well. It’s quite sad I had to guard it with yours. Rest well Tracy.
-----

Tracy is in tears, as she gives up the ghost. Sam rises, slowly moves to the camera with fear in his eyes. He steps inside, grabs a shovel, returns to Tracy’s corpse, and lifts it on his shoulder.

CUT TO:
-----

EXT. BUSH - MOMENTS LATER
We see Sam concluding the digging of Tracy’s grave, Tracy’s corpse lying by. He throws the body into the grave. From camera’s P.O.V, we see him fill the grave with the first heap of sand, defeating our view with sudden darkness. Sounds of the grave being filled are heard.

CUT TO:
-----

INT. SAM'S APARTMENT - CONTINUOUS
Getting home, he opens the door to find Eve who had returned from Camp. She rushes to welcome him but notices the shovel and his sweaty face. Both freeze. Tension follows, as we hear their heartbeat. We see confusion on Eve’s face and evilness on Sam’s face. Sam drops the shovel, walks to Eve. We notice him telling her things she keeps reacting uneasily to. It appears as though he’s going to hurt her. But just before we get to find that out, screen fades.
-----

THE END.

Comments