CHALLENGES AND COMPROMISE 1

SCENE 1

USHER: (Speaking to the new converts after service) Brethren, you have just made the best decision of your lives today. There is nothing like life in Christ. Bible says if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature. Right now my brethren, there is joy in heaven because of this decision you just made. You will never regret it. Like they say; life without Christ is a life of crisis. As you have chosen Christ today, every crisis in your lives has ended forever.

ALL: Amen.

USHER: Okay please, I’d like to know about you. Can you tell me a little about yourselves? Oh sorry, I should first of all introduce myself to you. My name is Sunday. I am an usher in this church. I started worshiping in these church five years ago after I had an awesome encounter with God. Since then I have been serving diligently in this church and I have seen God rescue me from the bands of darkness and bless me. I know he will do same and much more for you all in Jesus’ name.

ALL: Amen.

USHER: So, can I know you too?

JERRY: My name is Jerry. I am a youth Corp member. I was designated to teach in the secondary school just three blocks away from this church after camp. I got an apartment close by so that I won’t have to spend so much on transportation. That’s also why I chose to visit a church close by and probably keep visiting if I found the service enjoyable. I’ll be done with my service in a short while.

USHER: Indeed, it is the Lord who ordered your steps to this church today. You only came to visit. But now, the Lord has visited you and saved your soul with your permission. This is indeed a day to remember for you. (Turns to Benjamin)Okay, what about you sir. Let’s know you.

BENJI: My name is Benjamin. I’m a Jambite. I finished secondary school two years ago but haven’t been able to secure admission since then. I’m still trying. After trying severally to gain admission into school unsuccessfully, a friend advised me to draw near to God. He said that if I do so, God will visit me and grant my heart’s desire.

USHER: Don’t worry Benjamin. This will be your last try. You will get that admission this time. Maybe God wanted you to know him first before entering into school. I chose to believe so. All things work out for good to them that love God. But note that there is more to be derived from a relationship with God than just admission. I know that as you work with God diligently, your eyes will be opened to the innumerous benefits of a working relationship with God. (Turns to Regina) and what about you, sister?



REGINA: My name is Regina. I’m a final year student in the state university. A friend of mine invited me to a wedding that held in this church some time ago. After then I started worshiping here occasionally. This is about the fifth time I’ve worshiped here after that wedding.

USHER: That’s awesome! You see brethren, God works in mysterious ways. He chose this day to reach out to the three of you, and quite wonderfully, you all answered to his call. Now that you have received salvation, all you have to do is to work out your salvation with fear and trembling. You do that by studying your bible and praying daily, and also making sure that you avail yourselves in church services in order to get well equipped for this heavenly race. The devil is not happy about this development. So he will do all within his power to quench you. But the God of hosts is on your side. Okay brethren, once again, I thank you for worshiping with us. And I do hope you will continue to do so, especially now that you have become fellow messengers of Christ Jesus. Please fill this form so that we may reach out to you through the information you shall provide. (They answer okay)

SCENE 2

OLUCHI: (Regina is busy preparing to for a church function. Joy, having noticed her enthusiasm about the work of God overtime voices out her long concealed thought) Regina, this church thing has gotten into your head o. There is hardly a day you don’t go for one church function or the order. I really miss the times we used to be all day indoor chatting about virtually everything that was there to talked about. Nowadays we barely talk. Today you’re in church, tomorrow you’re in church, and even the day after tomorrow you’re still in church. Hmmm.

REGINA: Oluchi my friend, you won’t understand what has happened to me. Ever since the day I received Jesus as my Lord and savior, I’ve been feeling like a new born baby.

OLUCHI: Hehehe..e..e..e, why won’t you feel like that when you keep saying all the time that you are born again?

REGINA: Hahaha. Oluchi, you are funny. But seriously speaking, that’s how I feel. I wish I could lend you this feeling for a little bit so that you can see how pleasant it is. Perhaps if you do, you’ll quickly open your heart and receive Jesus too. (They both laugh)But come o, Oluchi, what is still keeping you from joining me in this heavenly race? You know that every second spent in the world is as risky as a man going to the Atlantic Ocean to learn how to swim, don’t you?

OLUCHI: Chai! Regina! You’ve started threatening me again with this your sermon o! You’ve started threatening me o!

REGINA: It’s not like that. I’m just setting instances. You know you are my best friend, and we’ve been friends since 100 level. We’ve been through thick and thin in this school. We have big dreams for the future. We promised to help each other achieve our goals in life. Now I’ve found the way, the truth and the life, and that is Jesus! It is only fair that I introduce him to you as my best friend so that we can excel together in life through him.

OLUCHI: Hmmm. Regina, I understand what you are trying to do. But it’s not that easy. Maybe you have found a way manage your new identity successfully. But my sister, I no go fit lie for you; I NO FIT!

REGINA: How would know if you can or cannot when you haven’t even given it a try. If you wait for a perfect season to sow, you will never sow, because the season will never be perfect.

OLUCHI: (Remorsefully) You have a point. You really have a point. I have tried severally to do what you are doing now but failed. So I began thinking that I’m not yet ready for it. It’s been so long and I’ve never seen myself to be ready for it. But your words are making me feel like just giving up everything and join you. hmmm.

REGINA: Yes Oluchi! That is the spirit of God convicting you. Just yield and let God’s spirit lift the weight of this life from you and give you true rest.

OLUCHI: (Exhales heavily) Hmmm, Regina, this thing that you are telling me to do now ehn….,

REGINA: (Cuts in) Don’t worry. It’s not as difficult as you think. All it requires is.., (Phone call interrupts)

OLUCHI: Hello?

EMEKA: (With Igbo accent) Hello babae, ke way gi? Why ine merem like this? For three days now no call. (Starts raining praises on Oluchi with Igbo language hilariously)

OLUCHI: It’s not like I deliberately refused to call you. It’s just that I didn’t have airtime to do so. So how have you been?

EMEKA: (With Igbo accent) Babae, I’ve not been fine o! Your absence ine gbum mmadu eba! I want to see you nne. Because if I don’t see you today, I will die!

OLUCHI: (Cuts in) Tofiakwa! Stop saying that nna’m! You will not die o! in fact, ke bi ino kita? Where are you now?

EMEKA: (With Igbo accent) I went to the library to read. But as I was reading, instead of what I read entering into my head, it was you that was entering. Your name was just ringing in my brain (makes the siren sound) like siren. So I stopped reading and called you. I’m on my way to my hostel now.

OLUCHI: (Blushes and speaks with a very emotional tone of voice) I will come and see you now.

EMEKA: It’s okay nne. I will be expecting you.

OLUCHI: Alright, bye.

EMEKA: Bye. (Hangs up)

OLUCHI: Regina, I’m very sorry about the call. It was Emeka, and I couldn’t ignore it.

REGINA: It’s okay. I will be going for the church rally now. I might come home late today.

OLUCHI: No problem. Take care. See you when you return.

SCENE 3

BENJI: Aunty, it’s time for me to go to church. My church’s intercessory team is meeting today, and I’m one of them.

AUNTY: Look Benjamin, if it is transport money you want to get from me this time, I don’t have okay?

BENJI: Haba aunty, it’s not that. I’m just informing you that it’s time for me to go to church.


AUNTY: Okay, so I suppose you have transport money this time right?

BENJI: No aunty, I’ll trek. It is very important that I be in the meeting. You know that if I don’t pray, I’ll become a prey.

AUNTY: Hmm, my dear, I’m really impressed by your enthusiasm in your service to God. But I don’t think I can allow you to do that. The city is deadly, and it is not advisable for any youth to be on the road by that time of the night.

BENJI: 8pm is not that late. The meeting dismisses by 8pm. And I should be home before 8:30pm since I’m trekking.

AUNTY: Okay-Okay-Okay. Just make sure you are back here not later than 8:30pm.

BENJI: Yes aunty. But aunty, you haven’t visited my church again since the last time I invited you. Don’t you plan on doing so again?

AUNTY: My dear, I will. It’s just that my job barely leaves me time for church services. And not to forget that I also have a church I worship with, where you refused to follow me to because there are not a lot of youths there.

BENJI: Auunntttiieeeeeeee………………..,

AUNTY: Benjiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee……………….,

BENJI: Okay aunty. I will leave now. See you when I return.

AUNTY: Alright. Goodbyeeeeee. Pray for meeeeeeee.

BENJI: I wiiiiillll..,

SCENE 4

USHER: (Church shares the grace of fellowship) My brethren, the Lord shall surely bless you for turning up today to gather with the rest of the saints to pray.

ALL: Amen!

USHER: We will meet again on Sunday to continue offering praises and prayers to this God, for he is indeed a faithful God. For now, let us all be on our way home. Don’t forget to pray before you go to bed. (They answer okay)

LADY: (Some people from a clinic rush a near dead woman to the church and start screaming) Pastoooooorr! Pastorrr!

USHER: My God! Who are those?

LADY: Pastoooorrrrr! Pastoooorrrr ooooo!

USHER: Lady please calm down! Why are you screaming like that?

ELIZA: (Panting and crying while others who came with her sob in the background) We want to see the pastor oo! I want him to pray for my mother. She was admitted in the clinic some blocks away from this church to receive treatment for high blood pressure. But just this night she began losing life, so we couldn’t think of anything else to do than to rush her to the nearest church for prayers. Call the pastor to pray for her before she dies please.

USHER: The pastor is not around now. This is not a service day. We are just members of the church’s intercessory team.

LADY: (Crying) Please do something. Do something before my mother dies please. If the pastor is not around, you can pray for her nawn, please.

USHER: (Stammers and clears throat repeatedly as he tries to respond to the question, then affirms with a little bit of doubt) Yes. Yes of cause! Brethren, please let’s join our voices together and pray for the recovery of this woman. Let’s join our faith together and pray. Pray for the power of the highest to come upon her right now and heal her in the name of Jesus! Prayer! (They begin praying. Initially it looks like nothing will happen. But the woman eventually gets restored and they all start rejoicing) Hallelujah! She has been restored! God has answered our prayer! The power of the highest has come on her. (The all rejoice)

WOMAN: What happened? Why am I here? Where is this place?

USHER: Sister, you were rushed in here by your daughter and some nurses from the clinic you were admitted in to get treatment for high blood pressure. According to them, it got to a point where the drugs that were administered to you could no longer sustain you and you were at the brink of giving up the ghost. So they quickly brought you here, and all thanks to God he answered our prayers and restored you.

WOMAN: (Gets emotional) Oh my children, thank you very much. God will surely bless you.

USHER: We thank God rather. It is the Lord’s doing. Let’s get you something cool to drink before leaving. (Calls on Benjamin)Benjamin! (Benjamin answers)Get this money, rush out and get some cold drink for her.

BENJI: Yes sir!

WOMAN: (Faintly) Oh my children thank you. Thank you. Thank you ooooo!

USHER: Don’t thank us madam. God has just exalted his son Jesus Christ. Just try to have some rest now. (Woman cries)

SCENE 5

BENJI: (Opens the door rejoicing and singing; “HALLELUHAH JESUS CONQUERS THE WORLD, HALLELUJAH SATAN YOU ARE IN TROUBLE, THE LORD REIGNETH IN MY LIFE TODAY. See his aunty and greets) Aunty good evening.

AUNTY: (Angrily) Benjamin where are you coming from? Why are you coming home by this time?

BENJI: Aunty I’m sorry for coming home late this time. Something came up in our meeting today. A near dead woman was rushed to the church for prayers. (Rejoices, and thinks that his aunty will rejoice at the news as well) Aunty can you imagine that we joined our faith together and prayed until the woman got restored? She was heading to the grave, but the power of the highest came on her and now she is alive and whole. Glory to God!

AUNTY: Quiet Benji! Quiet! What is that supposed to mean? You said you were coming home before 8:30pm, and here you are at after 10pm. I was here worried sick about you, wondering whether something bad has happened to you. And I tried your line severally but it was turned off! Benji do you want me to worry myself to death, ehn?

BENJI: God forbid! Aunty it’s not like that. That situation just popped up unexpectedly and I had to join the others to…

AUNTY: (Interrupts very angrily) To do what? Ehn? To do what? Oh, at the expense of my peace? Benji, you will not kill me in this house o! You will not kill me o! (Continues ranting & suddenly chokes. Benji rushes to attend to her)

BENJI: Aunty! Aunty what is it? (Choking continues) Aunty! Aunty what is it now? (Aunty chokes & suddenly calms> Benji gets scared and screams) Aunty! Aunty no! Aunty! Aunty no! No oooooooooooooooo!

To be continued...

Click below to read any PARTS you missed...

PART 1
PART 2
PART 3
PART 4
PART 5

Comments