CHALLENGES AND COMPROMISE 3


REGINA: (Rushes home to Oluchi and alarms the news of the robbery crying and banging on the door) Oluchi! Oluchiooo, Oluchi.

OLUCHI: (Shocked) Oh my God! What is wrong? (Opens the
door and meets Regina crying profusely. She calms her and inquires to know what happened) Regina what is it?


REGINA: (Laments) The worst has happened ooo! Oluchi the worst has happened oo!

OLUCHI: Regina, calm yourself and tell me what has happened. Is somebody dead?

REGINA: (Replies still crying) No ooo!

OLUCHI: Then what is it?

REGINA: After withdrawing the money I was supposed to pay my fees with tomorrow from the ATM, some guys from nowhere drove towards me with a bike and snatched my hand bag from meeeeeeeeeeeeeee.., the money I withdrew is in there oooooOluchi. I no longer have money to pay my fees with ooooo.

OLUCHI: (With tipical Igbo) Hei! Nzobu! Heeeeeeiiiii, what sort of thing is this?

REGINA: (Keeps crying and lamenting profusely) I don’t know oooo. After several months of saving that money to pay my fees, this happens now? Why? God why? Why? God why? N125,000 gone just like that? (Cries on)

OLUCHI: (Sighs exhaustively) Nawa o. (Regina keeps crying and Oluchi keeps consoling her)

SCENE 10 (a)

USHER: Brethren thank you so much for turning up today for the meeting. I know that the reward for this diligence will not elude you in Jesus’ name;

ALL: Amen!

USHER: Regina take heart. The bible says; in every situation you find yourself, give thanks to God. I can’t say why this is happening now. But God knows best. We will try all within our power to sort you out. The Lord is your strength. So Benjamin, what’s the situation with you aunty now?

BENJI: She is stable now. The doctors say she should be ready for discharged in two days’ time.

USHER: Thank God for that. I want to urge us all to stand firm in the faith. No matter the situations we may find ourselves in now, let us not grow weary in well doing. Instead, let us continue to praise the name of the Lord and pray that his will be done on earth as it is in heaven. With all these done, we can be sure that all will be well. At least we are happy that one of us here has a testimony to share with us. So despite all the does to weigh us down, God is busy blessing us. Let’s call on our brother Jerry to share his testimony.

JERRY: Good day brethren. I am indeed happy to stand here today a certified graduate. I just got my discharge certificate, and that certifies me as a first degree holder.

ALL: Hallelujah! (Celebration continues in the background)

JERRY: It didn’t end there. During my last six months as a corp member, I wasn’t paid my allowance. But as God would have it, the federal government has just released funds to serve that purpose. So I’m not just concluding youth service with empty pockets. And lastly, a company I applied to work with has called me for interview tomorrow.

USHER: Wow! God is undoubtedly faithful. As he has done for one of us, he will do for all of us in Jesus name.

SCENE 10 (b)

USHER: Jerry, I called you separately so that I can reason with you as a man. I heard your testimony and was very glad for what God is doing in your life. I also want you to note that I’m not embracing the occasion to tax you. But I urge you to consider our sister Regina’s situation and see how far you can go in helping her. Her final exam is just by the corner and she may just miss it for having not paid up her fees. As you know, you are the only one among us who financially buoyant to meet that need at this time. I’m not saying you should give your all to her. But do as much as you can do to assist her. I’ll consult a few other people on her behalf and see how to help that girl. She doesn’t deserve such delay. Not after all these while of serving diligently in the house of the Lord.

JERRY: Usher Sunday, I would gladly give everything to make sure that girl goes through with her exams. I know what it means to miss an exam. I just graduated and I can understand the frustration she will find herself if she has to spend an extra year in school for any reason whatsoever. So I’ll gladly be of assistance to her.

USHER: Oh my God! I’m so overjoyed by your speech. I didn’t expect this much from you. Word of God has indeed found a place of residence in your heart. The reward of this labor of love shall never elude you in Jesus’ name;

JERRY: Amen! I will be at the bank in two days to get my six months allowance. It’s almost like the money was withheld for a moment like this. Just tell Regina not to worry. Her problems will be solved within 72 hours.

USHER: God will surely bless you Jerry. And your interview tomorrow will be a success!

JERRY: Amen! Thank you Usher Sunday. I’ll be on my way now. I really have to rest. I’ve really been stressed.

USHER: We all have, and all need that rest as well. Alright then, take care of yourself. Bye.

SCENE 11

CEO: Ehm manager today is the day we scheduled for the interview of new employees. You know how the employees we just dropped played on our intelligence and betrayed our trust in them. We don’t need such people working in this company again. Even if the person is recommended by the president, he or she must be tasted for competence and integrity. But my problem is how to achieve that. I’ve thought about it for the past three weeks and haven’t come up with an idea to achieve that. And seriously, read my lips, I don’t want to employ thieves and robbers anymore into my company.

FRED: CEO, I think I have an idea on how to achieve that.

CEO: (Anxiously) Really? Ah-ah? Let’s here you. Why have you been quiet since?

FRED: Let’s just say I was waiting for the right time.

CEO: (More anxiously) Oya-Oya-Oya, the right time has come. What’s your idea?

FRED: Sir you see, there are limited job opportunities in the country right now, and people are desperate for jobs no matter what kind it is, and as such, will do all that he or she may be required to do just to secure a job. So my idea is; knowing that men would go as far as do anything just to secure a job, let’s demand that our applicants get engaged in dirty works to ensure the growth of this company. That will be the criteria for employment. The thieves and robbers will give in straight way! But the good ones, if there are any, will decline. Then it will be glaring in our eyes who we should bring in as a staff.

CEO: Dah!Afo ado inoh! Ata IdiogInoh! That is extremely brilliant! How did you come by that idea?

FRED: Sir, the great king Solomon of Israel is my mentor. I won’t be wrong in saying that I’ve taken after him a big deal.

CEO: Mmmmmmmm? Okay. Let your taking after him only be for the benefit of this company o!

FRED: If it’s that one, you don’t have problems sir.

CEO: Okay. Tell the secretary to call in the applicants on a first come first serve basis.

FRED: Okay sir. (Call secretary’s phone)

SEC: Hello Mr. Manager.

FRED: Ehe, Alice, call in the applicants for their interview. Start from the one who came first.

SEC: Yes sir! (Calls first applicant, Emeka) Please sir, you may go in now.

EMEKA: Thank you. (Knocks and gets into the office) Good morning sirs.

FRED: Morning young man. You are Emeka Okafor by name; am I right?

EMEKA: Yes sir!

FRED: Well young man, I have gone through your CV and I must say I’m really impressed. Without mincing words, you are a perfect candidate for this job. But this job requires more than mere qualification to gain you employment. You see, in this company, we do a lot of fraudulent stuffs to keep rising in business, and as such, we need employees who will come in and adopt the system and excel in it. By that I mean that if you must work with this company, you must be a good liar and a perfect 419er. Only people with such tendencies can work effectively in this organization. So young man, are you all these?

EMEKA: (Cuts in confidently with Igbo intonation) Heeeeeiiii! Sir, I didn’t know that these kinds of companies still exist. See, oga, I can do all those things you just mentioned and even much more.

FRED: Really?

EMEKA: Yes O!

CEO: Young man, are you sure you can do it? I don’t want a situation where you agree to what you can’t do just to get the job. We’re not playing! Are you sure you can swindle and defrauded clients so that this company will grow?

EMEKA: (Cuts in confidently again with Igbo intonation) Sir, I can swindle, and defraud, and deceive, and even overthrow somebody and take over his company!

CEO: (Cuts in with utter amazement) Jeeezuz!

EMEKA: Sir, as you see me now, I am a graduate. But would you believe if I told you that I never wrote and passed one exams without cheating? And in cases where I cheated but still failed, I would just approach the lecturers with sweet mouth and some cash. Before you know it, I’ve gotten an “A”. Is it 419? Ha, that one? I can’t begin to mention the areas I’ve ventured in 419 business; ranging from ATM fraud, admission scam; that one is for desperate jambites who are ready to pay anything just to gain admission. I just get money from them and promise to give them admission, and before they know, I don loss! Not to mention prayer house scam, where I’ll just fake prophesy and get money from people and then tell them to fast for 40 days because Satan is after them. (Laughs, and then says with a low tone of voice as though whispering) Sir, this one is between me and you; I had an extra year in school, but I no want go do am! So I went to a cyber cafĂ© and paid someone there to help me replicate original school certificates. So even these certificates that I submitted here; no be real.

CEO: (Cuts in with amazement) Jeeezuz!!! Ehm, Mister Emeka Okafor! I am impressed! I am so impressed by your fraudulent escapades. I must say that you are the best candidate for this job. Indeed you are. Ehh, Mister Emeka, we will call you. Thank you so much for applying for this job. We will call you. Thank you.

EMEKA: Don’t mention! I will be expecting your call.

CEO: No problem. Take care of yourself. Goodbye. (Emeka replies bye and leaves) Chaaaiii! Manager, if that one comes into this company, him go sell am!

FRED: Oga, you never see something.

CEO: This your idea is working o! Let’s see how it goes. Call in the next applicant.

ELIZA: (Singing while awaiting her turn)

FRED: Okay sir. (Call secretary’s phone)

SEC: Hello Mr. Manager.

FRED: Ehe, Alice, call in the next applicant.

SEC: Yes sir! (Calls next applicant, Eliza) Please Ma, you may go in now.

ELIZA: Okay. Thank you.(Knocks and gets into the office) Good morning sirs.

FRED: Morning young woman. You are Elizabeth Okon by name; am I right?

ELIZA: Yes sir!

FRED: I have gone through your CV and I’m really impressed. You are a perfect candidate for this job. But this job requires more than mere qualification to gain you employment. You see, in this company, we do fraudulent stuffs to keep rising in business, and we need employees who will come in and adopt the system. By that I mean that if you must work with us, you must be a good liar and a perfect 419. Only people with such tendencies can work effectively in this organization. Can you do that?

ELIZA: Sir, I am a Christian, and it is against my believe to do all that. I can’t bear the guilt and consequences of such actions. My bible trained conscience won’t even let me carry them out. I’m sorry sirs.

CEO: So you mean to say that you will let this opportunity pass you by because bible trained conscience?

ELIZA: I’m sorry sir, but if I do this, all my efforts in well doing for the past years would have been in vain. I’m sorry sir.

CEO: Okay young lady, you may leave now. We will get back to you soon. Keep your phone line open.

ELIZA: Okay sir. (Leaves)

CEO: Well Manager, we’ve gotten what we needed. Do we still need to continue with the interview? We can tell the last applicant to try again some other time.

FRED: That may not be fair. Let’s just try him out since he’s here already. He might turn out to be useful in some other ways. Who knows?

CEO: Alright. Call him in. (Jerry gets called in for his interview. They exchange greetings and interview commences)

FRED: So Mister Jerry, that is the criteria for working with this company. Do you think you can do all that?

JERRY: No sir! I can’t. I am a Christian. It is not expedient of me to entangle myself in such practices. What impression will I be sending out to my brethren by doing so? I’m sorry sir, but I just can’t.

FRED: Okay young man. Just wait at the reception. (Jerry thanks them and leaves)

CEO: Manager, we are in a tight corner now. We have two qualified candidates for one opening. Which one do we go for? The lady or the guy?

FRED: CEO, leave the job to me. I know how best to determine who better fits for the job between them both. Relax!

CEO: How will you do that?

FRED: Don’t trouble yourself with this one. That is why I asked him to wait at the reception. I will handle it and you will see the result.

CEO: Okay. In that case I leave everything to your wisdom.

FRED: Yes sir. (CEO leaves and Manager calls secretary’s phone)

SEC: Hello Mr. Manager.

FRED: Ehe, Alice, call in that young man again.

SEC: Yes sir! (Calls Jerry) Hello sir, the manager wants to see you again.

JERRY: Okay. (Proceeds to Manager’s Office)

FRED: Mr. Jerry, you see, you passed the interview with flying colors.

JERRY? (Surprised) What?

FRED: The whole fraud thing was just a test. It’s our method of separating the sheep from the goat.

JERRY: (Rejoices) Oh, thank God! I made it!

FRED: Yes, you made it. But I’m afraid you have a contender. (Jerry expresses frustration) Not to worry, something can be done to help you.

JERRY: What is that?

FRED: You see Mister Jerry, in a boxing match where there are two contenders; one of them must be eliminated either by points or by a knock out for the other to win. Your contender has eliminated you by points. Luckily for you, this is just the 11th round. You still have one round left to change your fate.And the only way to do that is by knocking out your contender. I propose to you now a means of knocking out that contender of yours and securing yourself a place in this organization as a staff. You deserve it.

JERRY: Manager, I am finding it most difficult to give meaning to your words.

FRED: There is someone standing in the way of your getting this job. But I can use my veto power to position you in that opening instead of that person. But you will have to do a little something.

JERRY: What is that?

FRED: You will have to pay some money to secure the job. N150, 000 only, and the job is yours to keep.

JERRY: What? A bribe? Sir, like I said; I am a Christian and it is not expedient of me to entangle myself in such practices. What impressions will I be sending out to my brethren by doing so?

FRED: This is the 2nd time you are making this statement. It is not expedient of you to bla..bla..bla, and what impressions will you be bla..bla..bla. Okay now, go and sit down there and keep considering what impressions you’ll be sending out to people who may not even be careful about the impressions they are sending to you. By the time you spend the next five years without a job, we will see what impressions you will be sending out.

JERRY: But sir, I just graduated from school. I have no money to pay for this job. Can’t you just help me sir?

FRED: This is a job that pays N450, 000 monthly. Paying N150, 000 to get it shouldn’t be an issue. Steal if you must! Opportunities like this don’t show up all the time. I leave the rest to your discretion.

JERRY: Sir, please help me. I’m just a young man who’s about starting life. That money is too much for me.

FRED: Looks like you don’t know what’s at stake here. You’re about throwing away an opportunity to earn N450k on a monthly basis. Trust me; it won’t come again anytime soon. Are you saying you don’t have money anywhere?

JERRY: (Phone rings) Excuse me manager, I have a call. May I take it here? (Manager Consents) Hello sister Regina.

REGINA: (So excited) Brother Jerry thank you o! Thank you so much! Usher Sunder just told me that you opted to help me with some money to settle academic obligations. I am deeply grateful to you for this generosity. Thank you o! God will surely bless you for reaching out to me in a time like this where all hope was lost. (Jerry keeps silent on the phone as he is short of words. Regina notices his silence and hellos him to know if he is still on the line) Hello? Hello? Brother Jerry, are you there? Hello? Heloooo? Brother Jerry? Are you there?

To be continued...

Click below to read any PARTS you missed...

PART 1
PART 2
PART 3
PART 4
PART 5

Comments