CHALLENGES AND COMPROMISE 4


Oh my God, bad network won’t let me do the needful now o. Let me call him again. (Dials Jerry’s number again)

JERRY: I’m sorry for that manager. I should have turned off my phone before coming in to see you. I have done that now. So manager, like I was saying before……….,

FRED: (Interrupts) There is nothing more to say Mister Jerry. It’s a yes or no affair. Pay N150, 000 and get a job that pays N450, 000 monthly, period! If you don’t have the money and don’t also have any means of raising it within the next three weeks, then say goodbye to this once in a lifetime opportunity. I rest my case!


JERRY: Sirr..,

FRED: I don’t have all the time in the world. I could have just kept this from you and let the company employ the lady who got the job first. But seeing that as a lady, she will soon marry and have a man to cater for her needs, I thought it wise to give you the job so that you will be man enough to make a worthy living. But you tend to be more of a clergyman than a career man. I just hope you don’t end up blaming God for the hardships that might follow this supposed courageous move of yours. Remember; heaven helps those who help themselves.

JERRY: (Thinking) What do I do now? I promised to help Regina with my six months allowance. That’s about the same amount of money needed to secure myself this juicy job. Do I let this opportunity pass me by for Regina’s sake? But come to think of it, I’m not supposed to pay for a job as a Christian. The God of heaven can help me with that. But wait o; this man said that heaven helps those who help themselves. Oh God, what do I do? Who even sent me to make such a promise o, chai!

FRED: (Notices Jerry lost in thoughts and calls him out of his reverie) Hello? Hello??

JERRY: (Quickly comes out of his reverie) Oh, sorry sir. I was lost in thoughts.

FRED: Please don’t do that here. You have all the time in the world to that when you leave. And I think it’s about time you left since there is nothing more to talk about.

JERRY: Ehm sir, I’m sorry for having wasted so much time over this issue. But having given thought to the matter on ground, I have come to agree with you that opportunities like this don’t surface on a regular basis. So I’m gonna grab it with both hands and legs.

FRED: Good! I had been expecting to hear that from the onset. So when is the cash coming in?

JERRY: Whenever sir. How do you want it? In cash or otherwise?

FRED: I’ve always preferred business done in cash. Bring the money to my house before the end of this week, and come back in three weeks for your appointment letter. My house address is House 13 in Revelation Housing Estate. Congratulations Mister Jerry, in a month’s time, you will be a certified employee in this organization.

JERRY: Thank you Mr. Manager. I’ll take my leave now.

FRED: Goodbye.

SCENE 12

REGINA: (Still trying Jerry’s number and getting the MTN’s “THE NUMBER YOU HAVE CALLED IS NOT AVAILABLE AT THE MOMENT. PLEASE TRY AGAIN LETER) What is wrong with Jerry’s number? Is it not the number I just called now? How can they now say it’s not available? These network operators sometimes sef. (Tries again and it connects) Finally! Thank God!

JERRY: (Phone rings) Chai, this girl ooo. What do I tell her now?(Phone keeps ringing and he finally picks) Hello?

REGINA: Hello brother Jerry, I’m very sorry about the other time. Network was probably bad so you couldn’t hear what I said.

JERRY: That’s okay Regina. So how are you?

REGINA: I’m perfect! Usher Sunday just informed me about your offer to help me with some money to settle my school bills, so I immediately called to thank you for such generosity. I was almost thinking myself to high blood pressure over where I would get such amount of money from in so little a time. God will surely bless and reward you for this kindness.

JERRY: (With a shaky and guilty tone of voice) Errm, actually Regina, the money I promised to give you is my unpaid six months Corper allowance.The news had it that Federal Government has released funds to serve that purpose. But on going to the bank to receive mine, I was told that someone somewhere is still holding onto the money released by the Federal Government, and as such, all Corpers have to wait till that person releases the money. Can you imagine what people can do to other people? Some Government officials are just so heartless!

REGINA: (With somewhat obvious inner disability) Errm, Brother Jerry, are you saying that the money might not be available as promised?

JERRY: Not at all! As soon as the money is released, I will withdraw and give to you.

REGINA: When will it now be released?

JERRY: That’s the problem. I don’t know when.

REGINA: (Weighed down) My God. I have less than two weeks to pay up for everything.

JERRY: I just hope the money is released before then. I’ll keep checking every day.

REGINA: Hmmm. Okay brother Jerry, thanks all the same. I really pray everything goes well.

JERRY: Same here my sister. Don’t worry much. It is well. Goodbye. (Hangs up) Chai! Look at the way I’m just lying up and down. If I didn’t promise to help that girl, all these wouldn’t be. I would have just paid for the job and continue without any controversies. Now some people might be tempted to hold an ill impression of me. But Regina might have an extra year if unable to pay up her fees. Hei! Nawa o. Well, God will help her.

SCENE 13

REGINA: (Crying as Oluchi comforts her) Why would this happen to me? How will I cope with the miserable depression the delay of an extra year in school will bring? Not after five years of relentless effort. Why me? Why me?

OLUCHI: Take it easy Regina. It’s not like the exams have come and gone. We still have four days to sort things out.

REGINA: Where will I get money to sort things out within the four days we still have? (Keeps crying)

OLUCHI: Like I said, I talked to Emeka about your situation and he’s willing to help with half of the money. But you will have to pay back within an agreed space of time. So you only have the other half to worry about.

REGINA: You sound like the other half is not a course for worry. Where am I supposed to get N75, 000 within four days?

OLUCHI: Regina, at times like this you may have to give little thoughts to your personality and consider turning a bit to the left or to the right to get your problem solved.

REGINA: You’ve said that a couple of times now but I ignored it when I couldn’t give suitable connotation to it. But it strikes me more this time and I’m interested in finding out what you mean by giving little thoughts to my personality and turning a bit to the right or left.

OLUCHI: I just hope you don’t get me wrongly, but I think you have the solution to your problem in your hands. There are guys who are more than willing to assist you if you let them. That Emeka’s friend who saw your picture in my phone is one of them. He so wants to see you for real and possibly date you but you have refused to dance to his tune by reason of your faith. But as it is now, you might have to bend a little and get your problem solved because he is more than able to do so. I don’t see anything wrong with that. It’s one of those things.

REGINA: That will be going against the teachings I promote. And what message will I be sending across to the brethren?

OLUCHI: Would you rather have an extra year in school? And where are your brethren now that you need them most?

REGINA: (Cries heartbrokenly) Hmm Oluchi, I don’t know what to do oo. I really don’t know what to do oo. (Keeps crying)

OLUCHI: Don’t worry Regina. I have your back. Let me handle things. Everything will just play out fine without any raised eyebrows. I can’t afford to watch you go down like that. Not when there is something I can do to help. Stop crying. Let me call Emeka and arrange for a meeting. (Dials Emeka’s number)

EMEKA: (Phone rings. Emeka picks up and speaks with Igbo accent) Hello Babae’mm, how far? Ine miss’mm? Are you missing me like I’m missing you?

OLUCHI: Hei, Obi’mm, I dey miss you like Mississippi.

EMEKA: Chei! Babae, you don kill me! Inegbugu’mooooo!

OLUCHI: Hahahahaha. Sweety’mm where are you?

EMEKA: I dey my house now. Any show?

OLUCHI: Yes o! You remember you said you were going to lend my friend some money to pay her fees. It is four days to the deadline o.

EMEKA: Babae see,mua bu a man of my words. When I talk, I perform! That is why they call me “talk and do”

OLUCHI: I believe! But see eh, she still needs more money to add up and make payment.

EMEKA: Babae what are you saying nauw? Do you want me to lend her all my money? If I give her everything, there will be nothing left for us to enjoy till money comes in again o!

OLUCHI: Tofiakwa! That’s not what I’m asking. I want you to talk to that you friend that saw Regina’s picture in my
phone and tripped. He can help out with the balance nah, can’t he?

EMEKA: Of cause he can! But Nne, (Stammers) he won’t just eehh help like that nah. He is not a Father Christmas. Your friend must to…, eeh your friend must to… (Interrupted)

OLUCHI: (Interrupts) Don’t worry about that Emeka. It has been taken care of. Just arrange for a meeting.

EMEKA: Chei Nne! You have finally turned that good girl into a bad girl. Chai! Nne, Idikwa bad o!

OLUCHI: (Jovially & Emitionally) Mechionu dier! You are making me feel bad. Please don’t say that again.

EMEKA: Sorry Nne. I was just joking. I will call Ikpa and arrange for a meeting.

OLUCHI: No problems. Talk to you later. Bye. (Hangs up)

REGINA: What did he say?

OLUCHI: He will arrange a meeting and call me. Don’t worry Regina. Your problem will be solved.

REGINA: Hmm, I can’t believe I’m going to compromise just handle a challenge. Oh God help me.

SCENE 14

USHER: In Jesus name! (Brethren answer; Amen)

USHER: Brethren, I want to assure you that your labor of love shall not be in vain. God will surely come to your aid when you need him. As you have come out to pray for the restoration of Benjamin’s auntie’s family today, you shall never lack people to intercede for you at all times in your lives. May God bless you all in Jesus name. (Brethren answer; Amen) I also want you to know that the prayers you have offered to God today will not go unanswered. In a short while, you will see the result of this labor. Benjamin’s auntie’s husband will return to her with so much love and affection that people will tag them teenage lovers. And our dear Benjamin will also gain admission into school this year.

ALL: (Randomly)Yes o! Hallelujah! (Applause)

USHER: Okay. I noticed that Regina and Jerry were not in church today. Please endeavor to reach out to them and find out why. I will also call them. But let everyone of us do our quota in reaching them to assure and reassure them that they indeed have people who love and care for them. Let’s be on our way home now. May God bless and keep you all. (Brethren answer; Amen)

SCENE 15

IKPA: Nna eh, Emeka, we have been here for a very long time now and the girls are not forth coming. I don dey tire o!

EMEKA: Chill nawn! Why your blood dey hot sef? Have you not been waiting for this day for ages now? Even when it wasn’t forth coming? Now that the girl has finally agreed meet you, you are becoming impatient. Biko wait!

IKPA: Dah, Emeka, don’t talk to me like that o! No be my money I want spend? Why should I be made to wait unendingly and still spend my hard earned money afterwards?

OLUCHI: (Walks in with Regina) Hi guys!

EMEKA: Hello there Nnem! Chai! Idikwa hot! Idi kpomnaanya! See as my babae is just shinning.

OLUCHI: (Blushes) Emeka please don’t start with these your sensational teasing abeg before you make me start behaving like a baby.

EMEKA: But that is what you are nah! Gibu my babae! Why? (Oluchi laughs babyishly) Please have a sit.

OLUCHI: (The girls sit down) So, this is my friend Regina, the girl your friend has been dying to meet. She’s finally here.

EMEKA: (Cuts in) GBAM! You are welcome Regina.

REGINA: Thank you.

EMEKA: Please meet my friend; Ikpa. He has been asking to see you since the day he saw your picture in Oluchi’s phone. Ikpa, meet Regina. (Ikpa gets shy and delays in responding. Emeka gets pissed by that and flares up) Ikpa turn your face and meet the girl nah! As the girl wey you dey always want see show, na im liver begin fail you?

IKPA: For wetin? I resemble person wey liver dey fail? C’mon get out there! (Everyone laughs except Regina. Ikpa then turns to meet Regina) Baby girl, you are welcome. My name is Ikpa Udo. But my friends call me Ikpa for short. I’m so happy to finally meet you one on one. (Extends his hand to give her a handshake)

REGINA: (Recognizes Ikpa as the guy who robbed her) Don’t I know you from somewhere? Your face looks familiar.

IKPA: It’s possible. I’m always everywhere making things happen. It must have been on one of such occasions.

REGINA: Indeed! You are the guy who snatched my handbag from me Sunday before last! (Emeka hallas; NZOBU)

IKPA: (Quickly recalls Regina’s face and defend himself) Wha..Wha.. What do you mean? Do you know me before?

OLUCHI: Regina, what’s the meaning of this?

REGINA: Oluchi, this is one of the guys that snatched my bag that day. I recall him vividly! He is the one!

IKPA: Emeka, did you bring me here for this girl to insult me? What sort of embarrassment is this? Ehn?

REGINA: This is no embarrassment mister man! You are the one who snatched my bag two Sundays ago. Come here mister man, where is my money? You must give my money back today oo! God don punish you today! (Regina begins to harass Ikpa violently while Oluchi & Emeka try to calm her unsuccessfully). Where is my money???

To be continued...

Click below to read any PARTS you missed...

PART 1
PART 2
PART 3
PART 4
PART 5

Comments